Like Father, Like Son

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Uncle Frank, Jun 14, 2005.

1. I had an idea for a project for Father's Day. Joe is a successful insurance agent, and his office is full of award plaques. But his prized possession is a picture of his dad taken many years ago. I've always been struck by their resemblence, and told clean shaven Joe that if he grew a beard and mustache, I'd try to take a matching photo that he could pass on to his own son someday.

original.

We had our session today, and while I couldn't replicate the pose exactly, I think he'll be pleased with the results..

original.
    original.
    original.
    original.
    original.

All pics taken with The Beast, of course :wink:.

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Very nice series Frank. You are so correct, the resemblance is remarkable. The idea for the shoot was very cool. 8)

3. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Very nice pictures. What a great idea, I'm sure that meant a lot to them. And you're right, the resemblance in remarkable.

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Excellent concept Frank. Well executed too.

5. Thanks, Frank!

Jeff, we'll see how much it means to them when I give them the bill ;).

Much appreciated, Flew.

6. Excellent pictures Frank and what a great idea. This will be a keepsake I am sure.

7. Thanks, Gordon!

Btw, great to have you back :).

8. Frank,

Not sure if this assignemt was to completely replicate his father, but I would recommend matching hairdew and of course getting hand pipe.

Cool project.

9. The resemblence is great indeed and so are the photos...
    I think you have managed to support your title in the best way!

10. Hi, Jay! I imagine with the right props and makeup, Joe could look just like his dad. But my intention was to show the similarities but
    still portray Joe as an individual... the modern day version. He still has his dad's favorite meerschaum, but doesn't smoke a pipe, so I
    let him substitute a fine cigar, with the side benefit of being offered one myself 8).

I think I like this rendering best, even though it differs greatly from his father's print.

original.

11. patrickh

patrickh

May 4, 2005
    Thousand Oaks
    UF you will have to drop the amateur status soon. These are pro shots - great project fine execution.

12. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Wow, that's remarkable. They look almost exactly the same! I really like the first one, though I'd try to shoot it without the glare (you might try a polarizer, or using a black sheet or something to block the reflection on the glass). Or simply remove the glass altogether.

13. Brilliant idea and perfect execution. You should be proud and Joe should be happy. Way to go!

Glenn

14. I removed the glare it in Photoshop, Gregory. Thanks for the suggestion.

original.

15. I just love this project, but I have to ask you folks a question: Is it just the magnification size of the image and my screen monitor, or is there a moire pattern on the chest area of Joe's t-shirt?

Glenn

16. There is, Glen. Fortunately, it doesn't show up in the prints.

17. Frank,

I haven't had too much experience with moire. I have a basic understanding of what causes it, but no real understanding as to why some moire disappears when the image is printed. I haven't tried any of the software techniques for eliminating or reducing moire. I just send my moire images to the printer and hope for the best. If the moire doesn't clear up, I just trash the photo and move on. With my type of photography, basically family and playing around, it's not a big deal. With your Father/Son project, it would have been a genuine loss if the printed image retained the moire. I'm very glad to hear that the prints are fine.

Glenn