Like Father, Like Son

I had an idea for a project for Father's Day. Joe is a successful insurance agent, and his office is full of award plaques. But his prized possession is a picture of his dad taken many years ago. I've always been struck by their resemblence, and told clean shaven Joe that if he grew a beard and mustache, I'd try to take a matching photo that he could pass on to his own son someday.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

We had our session today, and while I couldn't replicate the pose exactly, I think he'll be pleased with the results..

View attachment 10467
View attachment 10468
View attachment 10469
View attachment 10470
View attachment 10471

All pics taken with The Beast, of course :wink:.

Very nice series Frank. You are so correct, the resemblance is remarkable. The idea for the shoot was very cool. 8)

Very nice pictures. What a great idea, I'm sure that meant a lot to them. And you're right, the resemblance in remarkable.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks, Frank!

Jeff, we'll see how much it means to them when I give them the bill ;).

Much appreciated, Flew.

Frank,

Not sure if this assignemt was to completely replicate his father, but I would recommend matching hairdew and of course getting hand pipe.

Cool project.

Jay Luto said:
Frank,

Not sure if this assignemt was to completely replicate his father, but I would recommend matching hairdew and of course getting hand pipe.

Cool project.
Hi, Jay! I imagine with the right props and makeup, Joe could look just like his dad. But my intention was to show the similarities but
still portray Joe as an individual... the modern day version. He still has his dad's favorite meerschaum, but doesn't smoke a pipe, so I
let him substitute a fine cigar, with the side benefit of being offered one myself 8).

I think I like this rendering best, even though it differs greatly from his father's print.

gho

Wow, that's remarkable. They look almost exactly the same! I really like the first one, though I'd try to shoot it without the glare (you might try a polarizer, or using a black sheet or something to block the reflection on the glass). Or simply remove the glass altogether.

Brilliant idea and perfect execution. You should be proud and Joe should be happy. Way to go!

Glenn

gho said:
Wow, that's remarkable. They look almost exactly the same! I really like the first one, though I'd try to shoot it without the glare (you might try a polarizer, or using a black sheet or something to block the reflection on the glass). Or simply remove the glass altogether.
I removed the glare it in Photoshop, Gregory. Thanks for the suggestion.

I just love this project, but I have to ask you folks a question: Is it just the magnification size of the image and my screen monitor, or is there a moire pattern on the chest area of Joe's t-shirt?

Glenn

Tosh said:
I just love this project, but I have to ask you folks a question: Is it just the magnification size of the image and my screen monitor, or is there a moire pattern on the chest area of Joe's t-shirt?

Glenn
There is, Glen. Fortunately, it doesn't show up in the prints.

Frank,

I haven't had too much experience with moire. I have a basic understanding of what causes it, but no real understanding as to why some moire disappears when the image is printed. I haven't tried any of the software techniques for eliminating or reducing moire. I just send my moire images to the printer and hope for the best. If the moire doesn't clear up, I just trash the photo and move on. With my type of photography, basically family and playing around, it's not a big deal. With your Father/Son project, it would have been a genuine loss if the printed image retained the moire. I'm very glad to hear that the prints are fine.

Glenn

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom