1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

like or no like?

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Doug, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    I can't decide about the photo itself, quality wise, maybe some shake and bake. But I do love the composition myself. Thoughts? Maybe it's just that tree, that is a difficult item to see focus on, dunno.

[​IMG]

2. Cool shot. IMO, if you include fence posts, you should try to include the whole post though, not parts of it., Nice exposure. Realistic.

3. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    Thanks Bobbie Joe. I never see it that way on something like a leading post. Now the post at the end, that could be cropped. But I believe you are talking about the front post yes? I am sure we'll get several opinions on that. And that's good, I'm looking for alternate views on the shot, thanks for your input!

I will say I try to balance, if I can get the whole post and I think it' suites the composition, I'll do so. If by getting the whole post, I get something I don't want, then I may sacrifice some of it. So for me, it's just situational by composition desired.

Doug

4. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    I like the shot, but it seems to lack impact. Maybe thinking about a foreground, middle ground and background would help. Or leading lines that draw the eye into and within the photo.

5. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    You may well be correct Karen. But you know isn't it fun to see if you can make something of nothing? I saw the jetstream, and while they'd messed some stuff up already for me, I just tried to embrace this one. Anyway, thanks for your input, I love hearing what others think.

6. Since you asked .... I find my eyes bugging out - one drawn up the fence line to the right, the other towards the tree on the left. I don't get the feeling that the jet trail has been embraced. I agree with Yves that the whole front post should be included. Not up to your usual standard! Just my opinion.

Cheers,

Larry

7. Doug, I share your confusion--the tree on the the left is great, as is the shadow around it, the far tree line and the fence. The trees on the right I can't quite decide on! I tried cropping them out but that takes out the rest of the fence line. Oh boy!

What's to the right? Could you have included more of the trees on the right?

One thing I know I don't like--the jet trails :frown:---yeah we've all been there!

Thanks, this is a great challenge!

8. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    Well, ok, I appreciate the constructive or destructive as it may be ;)  critique. It's ok, this shot isn't planned for my top 10. It was just a snap, that's all. My standards are ever evolving though, sometimes, they go the wrong way. haha.

But I agree, this shot will be on the cut room floor when done likely.

As far as what was to the right or left, I am not certain right at this point.

9. Doug: I have nothing against the fence, nothing against the tree and nothing against the exposure. Indeed, the tree to the left is acting as the center of interest.
    Something tells me, looking carefully to the picture, that there is something missing to really catch the eye in this pleasant photograph. Something is missing, if you understand what I am trying to say.
    I look at it as a wide empty space in need of that "something"
    This is the best way in which I can express my feelings.
    William Rodriguez
    Miami, Florida.

10. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    Thanks Sam.

Well William, in a perfect world, your probably right, something is missing. But at Cades Cove, you take what you get, no landscape modifications allowed. ;) 

I do understand your point though, and it makes absolute sense. It's just a light airy field scene with modest points of interest. It's not a top 100 wonders of the world shot, that's for sure. :) 

Even a nice cloud formation could have helped complete the scene.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.