Likes, Agrees,etc

Discussion in 'Site Information, Help, and Feedback' started by Randy, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Am I the only one who doesn't want any more encouragement for someone to not post C&C or some comment. We got enough 'nice pic' posts.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator Administrator

Feb 25, 2017
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Amin
    No, a lot of people have expressed that concern. And a lot of others have said, "let's try it".

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. You're not the only one, Randy! I am not a fan of "Likes," "Agree," "Funny," "Winner," etc., either! IMHO it adds an unnecessary element to the Cafe and, yes, is likely to discourage comment and discussion when instead of having to actually type one's thoughts one can simply hit the "Agree" button and be done with it without bothering to explain WHY one agrees or expanding and continuing the discussion...... Another forum in which I participate, MacRumors, chooses to use just one button, the "like" button, and that seems to suffice there, but really in general I feel it is unnecessary on any forum which is supposed to be about, stimulate and include discussion. This isn't Twitter or Facebook! MacRumors also has chosen NOT to use the ratings system, too, which I think is wise on their part. I'm not sure but I think the ratings system is based on the number of "likes" and "agrees" and whatever else? As I said somewhere in another post, to me that ratings system is nothing more than a popularity contest and I don't feel it is appropriate on this site.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. I've gone round with this one in my mind for years. At this point, I'm in favor of the "like" button. I think it can eliminate some of the "nice pic" posts. Plus, I can easily just give someone a thumbs up by hitting the "like" when I don't have much to add or if they do not want any critique.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Maybe we could eliminate some of the other stuff and just have the "like" button alone?

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. I gave you a "medal" for that suggestion!

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. I gave you a "Funny" for that comment!

Glenn

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. LOL!!!! Well, using just the "like" button works out pretty well for MacRumors, might as well try it here..... We really don't need all that other stuff or the popularity ratings, though!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Amin Sabet

Feb 25, 2017
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Amin
    I've been using the "popularity ratings" for years on other sites and didn't even realize/remember they were there until I read your post and went looking for them.

I suspect that 99% of people ignore them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. BrianVS

BrianVS

Mar 15, 2017
    Virginia
    The "Like", Appreciate, etc buttons do not replace your ability to post a reply as you are used to doing. It does give someone the option to provide feedback without causing "thread bloat".

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  11. I'm not on any social media, so this is the first time I've ever had a "like" button.

A lot of times I want to tell someone that I like their picture, but don't have any critique for it. And honestly, who am I to critique someone else's pictures, anyway? I mean, I'm just a guy with a camera and an opinion.

I don't know much about art, but I know what I like...... Gelett Burgess

• Like Like x 1
  12. Well, if people ignore the popularity ratings anyway, why bother with them at all?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Amin Sabet

Feb 25, 2017
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Amin
    I didn't even realize that the like button addon came with those until you mentioned it and I checked!

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. You can't just say, "wow, that's a neat shot!" or, "I really like this image!" ?? Seriously. On here you don't have to offer a full-blown critique when you like something but aren't sure of the words to express why...... Sure, it does help to say something like, "wow, the timing on this shot is just perfect -- you really captured the bird at the critical moment!" or, "I really like this shot -- the details of the flower and the colors really set this apart." No need to go into a full critical analysis of what has prompted you to respond to the shot technically and emotionally......

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Well of course I can. And I do.

But then people complain because I say "Nice picture", without giving a full critique.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. Yeah, I think the whole "like" button and other emoticons are somehow tied into this ratings thing..... At least, that is how it looks to me on a quick superficial run-through when getting acquainted with the new features here. On MacRumors they have somehow disconnected the "like" button from the popularity thing as it is possible to "like" someone's post but there are no rankings of member's ratings.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Tell me this is a joke - are we really going to be rated here by our popularity? Are we back in high school?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Ray

Ray

Mar 15, 2017
    Near Philly
    I'm new here so take my opinion with a grain of salt. But on Amin's other photo related sites (and elsewhere) I really like having a like button. I don't tend to use the others (agree, funny, winner, etc) much if at all, but there are a lot of image posts that I want to register that I saw and liked without taking up a whole other post just to say something like, "nice shot(s)". If I have a critique or suggestion or if one out of a bunch of images really stands out to the extent that I want to mention it, I'll use another post and do that. But there are a lot of things I see and like, but don't have anything else to say. So, FWIW, I'm in favor of them.

-Ray

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  19. Mike Irish

Mike Irish

Jun 14, 2008
    Ireland
    I find them useful and can be nice to agree quickly to others comments .But they wont stop me from making a comment on the original past.;)
    As they say. If you dont like them dont use them!
    Mike

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. crazy

crazy

Feb 5, 2009
    NC
    It's a mixed bag for me. There were images in the past that I have thought were good, but did not comment with "good shot", etc.; however, with the new format, I would simply give a like if I did not have anything that I really wanted to say.

In the case of agreeing with a post, I would sometimes have posted "+1" or "agree", but always felt they were bloat to a degree. With the agree emoticon, it's a simple click, and avoids adding to a multitude of "agree" posts.

As far as compiling likes, agrees, etc. into ratings, I see no value in that.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1