Li'l flower in my garden...

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by JPS, May 19, 2005.

1. ...thought this was a nice composition !

Fuji S2 + Tamron SP90 - 1:125 @ f/22 - ISO 100 - RAW

2. ...then i went closer...

3. ...that's when i noticed it was inhabited !

100 % crop of the full scale RAW !

(BTW, the bug is also visible on the first pic... i just saw it now :wink: )

4. But it's more interesting when you see the flower LIFE-SIZE:

5. Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    That's cool...I wouldn't have guesed it was that small had I not seen it hand held. I really like the symmetry in the first shot....makes for nice composition.
  6. Wonderful series of shots Jean-Pierre. What great detail in the first image.
  7. What a lovely shot, Jean-Pierre!!! :D :D :D
  8. Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl

These are teriffic...

EKKK aphids.

REally beautiful work.

Thanks for sharing
  9. Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Nice shots Jean-Pierre, and nice little series and narration.

10. an excellent series and nice details - then seeing the actual size is fascinating!
  11. Wow,

Jean-Pierre you are making great pictures!

Do you use a studio setup?

I think you use a black background, but what lights?

Would be great to learn fom one another.
  12. The little critter is nowhere to be seen in this shot ;-)

Great series Jean-Pierre!

13. Nice shots Jean-Pierre. Looks like an aphid. Its amazing how much detail is retained.

I too sometimes miss seeing the bugs when I get caught up in composing the shot. Sometimes, however, the bug really can make the picture interesting. Here's a shot of our white lilac I took last year. I didn't even notice the crab spider when I took the shot :) :)

Thanks for sharing.
  14. Hi Dennis ! Thanks for looking... As for your white lilac shot, it's even more "difficult to see this spider on it, as is "melts" very well with the petals...

PS. I would have tried to lighten a bit the overall pic, but maybe it's my screen ?!?
  15. Hi Michael ! I usually shoot the macros on a "studio" table... I don't use sophisticated lighting, only the on-board flash of the camera (or sometimes an old ring-flash) reduced to the minimum power, to trigger one or 2 wireless slaved flashes ! The background is a piece of mate black material, and i build two L-shaped reflectors out of 100x50 cm. (2'x4' feet) white acrylic. See for a picture of the set-up !
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  16. Hi Jonathan ! As i shot this pics a few minutes after the others, and before i saw the bug, i'm affraid i might have squashed it with my little fingers... :oops: !
  17. Jean-Pierre, i really like your second picture and the softness of the lighting.