Lily - Follow up

I ran outside this morning and took a few shots with the 70-200VR + 500D. It's pretty cloudy, but I wanted to take a few comparison shots. I think that the kit lens held up pretty well. The 70-200VR bokeh and overall sharpness may be a tad better, but the kit lens did OK IMHO. Here are the 70-200VR shots.

28088198-O.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

28088197-O.jpg

The original 18-70 shots are below.

Janie and I have been working hard on our new yard the last month, keeping me from getting out to shoot. Sunday we brought home a beautiful lily. I had my kit lens (18-70) on the D2H, and I was so covered with dirt, grit, and mud, that I didn't want to take a chance of changing lenses. Since we were racing the hurricane, I didn't even take the time to get out the tripod.

In any case, these aren't quite as sharp as they would have been with the 70-200VR and 500D, but they are awfully pretty.

Front view:
28030350-O.jpg

Side view:
28030343-O.jpg

Closer:
28030346-O.jpg

Real close:
28030348-O.jpg

I can't wait for this storm to pass through so I can get at this beauty with my 70-200VR. :wink:

Does it smell as pretty as it looks? That's pretty sharp...but I think you were wise to not change lenses if you were covered in dirt and grime....Can't wait to see what you do w/the 70-200VR!!

Thanks guys (and gals....;-)).

Leigh, I love your new avatar. 8)

Oh, yeah, it does smell wonderful.

Crystall,

Not nearly as sharp as they would have been with the 70-180. 8)

You really have me intrigued with that lens, and of course ol' Dave has me thinking about the 200 micro too. Which would you recommend if you had the choice?

Thanks,

PGB

You have got to be kidding Frank. These were with the 18-70???? Excellent detail!

Thanks,

Patrick,

Yeah, not bad for $300. 8)

Are you and Leigh playing musical chairs at the computer tonight? :lol:

Thanks Gordon. We've certainly worked hard on it. Just got new Bermuda sod and a sprinkler system, so we are working hard on the flowers, to make it worth all the $$ we spent. :roll:

Of course (don't tell Janie), I keep thinking of all the nice glass I could have bought. :lol:

Frank,

Nice and sharp, lots of color. On my monitor, the 70-200 images seem a bit more saturated as well - but that may be due to a change in the lighting conditions.

How did you make out in hurricane Dennis? Hopefully no damage or my name will be mud!

Flew said:
Crystall,

Not nearly as sharp as they would have been with the 70-180. 8)

You really have me intrigued with that lens, and of course ol' Dave has me thinking about the 200 micro too. Which would you recommend if you had the choice?

Thanks,

Hmm, that is really a hard question. I had my heart set on the 200 micro until I discovered that there was a 70-180. I researched both lenses and made my decision based upon cost. As you know I was able to acquire the 70-180 from KEH for about $915 in used condition. But, as everyone mentioned, KEH underrates their lenses. It was actually in pristine condition! I think I will stick with the 70-180 due to the flexible zoom, but either lens would be great. I can tell you this, it produces beautiful, saturated images. Hope that helps and doesn't confuse much. :wink:

CrystallP said:
Hope that helps and doesn't confuse much. :wink:

Crystall,

It does help, tremendously. Not confusing at all. :lol:

If I had to buy right now, I'm not sure which way I'd go. The flexibility of the zoom and constant aperture of the 70-180 is awfully tempting though. 8)

Latest threads

Top Bottom