Lincoln Continental at an Anti-War Rally

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by Rick Waldroup, Mar 28, 2007.

1. This was shot in Austin, Texas a couple of weeks ago. I was covering an anti-war march and came across these guys and their Lincoln. They were having a beer watching the march go by. Does anyone know what year this car is?

The camera was a D2H and 18-70mm lens.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2007
  2. neat presentation and image Rick

3. Thanks Dave. This was an unusual scene that you don't usually come across at these types of events. The color of the car was a light beige with black interior. It really was a beauty. But to me, it was perfect for a B&W shot. It may be from the late 60's? I'm sure some of the car buffs on here will know. I was so busy shooting, I did not have time to stop and ask the guys about the car.

4. dsp921

dsp921

May 16, 2006
    It's a 1964 - 1967, they didn't change much from 1961 to 1969, but the gas door was in the rear until '64 and you could only get 2 door convertibles after '67. I'd say '64 or '65 from what I can see at that angle. That's as close as I can get....

5. very nice B&W Rick.:smile:

6. Thanks Raul, I am very, very partial to B&W. I convert probably about 90% of what I shoot to B&W.

Thnaks for the info Dave. I knew someone out here would know about this car. As you can see in the photo, the car has a decal on the side reading "Blacker" and the two guys are wearing t-shirts with the same thing. So, I don't know if this is some type of car club or it could be the name of a bar. The location was on 6th Street in Austin, which is home to dozens and dozens of bars, so it very well could be the name of a bar. Thanks for the info.

7. dsp921

dsp921

May 16, 2006
    Looks like "Slacker". I did a quick Google and there is some sort of music service based in Austin called Slacker. No mention of the car, though.
    http://www.slacker.com
    Looks like they're out advertising so you should run into them and/or the car again.

8. Thanks Dave, you are right. I went back and enlarged the original and it is Slacker. Yep, there is a music venue and studio type thing in Austin called Slacker. Thanks once again, your eyes are sharper than mine. I'm getting old.:biggrin: :biggrin:

You know, the more I think about it, they may have been standing out there more to make sure their car was okay than to watch the march. Either way, the two fellows were drinking a beer and they sure were enjoying the march. Austin is not my home town, but it is not far from me and I try to get there as often as possible. It is a great city.

9. Being a native Texan, and having lived in Austin most of my adult life, I'd have to agree it's a great place... until August! Then I'm glad I've moved to cooler New Mexico!

Your p/j work is great Rick. Keep 'em coming.

10. Thanks David. I had an old, old teacher many years ago that once told all of his PJ students, "Hey, someone's gotta shoot this stuff!" "Stuff" wasn't the exact word he used, but you get my drift.:wink: :wink:

You got it brother, when it comes to August and the heat in Texas. I love my home state but the older I get, the worse the heat seems seems to get.:mad: :mad:

David, the more I visit Austin, the more I am falling in love with the place. It is simply like no other city in Texas. I have mentioned to my wife a couple of times about moving, but she just rolls her eyes and tells me to shut up and go play with my cameras. She is probably right. At my age, I'm tired of moving around. We just bought this nice little house in Granbury about 5-6 years ago.

Still.....

11. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Rick :

I think that's a '65 model. IFIC, Lincoln didn't carry the chrome on the tops of the rear fins past that year. Worst case, it's a '66. The fins look too low for any earlier year.

And check out the "suicide doors" for the back seat passengers !!! The Continental was the last American made car to have those until pretty recently.

What a beauty !

John P.

12. Yep, John P. I'm running along, and I mean literally running, trying to keep up with the march and shooting and so on, when all of a sudden I was stopped dead in my tracks by that Lincoln. My first thought was "what in the hell is this doing here?" So I stopped, got off a couple of shots and ran to catch back up with the front of the march.

Yeah, those suicide doors are something else, aren't they.:biggrin: :biggrin:

This thing was in pristine condition and it had been a long, long time since I had seen one of these on the road somewhere.