1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Lindsey

Discussion in 'Formal Portraits and Weddings' started by Phillip Ino, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Here's a headshot taken last night. She'll be using it for an application to a community leadership program. C+C most welcome. Does the WB seem off or okay? What else could I have done to improve the image? Alien Bee 400 as main light to camera left, reflector just right of subject and an SB-800 behind subject, facing background, triggered by a SU 800. Thanks for looking :smile:

2760917473_5bdc0b70c0.

2. spencer313

spencer313 Guest

I think if your main were a bit higher, the subjects face would be better lit. Look at the shadows between each eye and the nose. The light is coming from too low an angle.

Otherwise, good expression and good technicals for the purpose.

S

3. TCMony

TCMony

Jul 20, 2006
    McDonough GA
    It has a noce soft light but I too would like to see a little more power from your main light to brighten up the face. Very nice.

4. I call it a nice photo as is. She is pretty and has a very sweet smile. All that said, I dislike the necklace.

5. WB "ok" on my monitor
    good comments above
    not thrilled with the necklace, either
    pretty girl
    nice shot

6. Francis, I am going to disagree with the comments above and say that your main light placement was about right. Very pretty young lady and you have given her face a bit of modeling with your lighting and that it good. I would try to move your background light up some and also use a small light to give more detail in her dark hair. Up high and to her left would be preferable. Thanks for sharing your image.

7. original.

Yea, the light is too low but here comes the broken record again... Levels adjustment. Open Levels and move the right side pointer toward the left until it's under where the data begins. Do that and add a little USM and I say (for the intended use of this picture) you are good to go.

TIP: When posting images for critique save them with the longest dimension 800 pixels at 72 dpi. This will be large enough to be seen in totality on most monitors and make analysis easier.

8. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    Adjusting brightness via Levels is one of the first things I learned here......thanks Mr. broken Record.....

But, frequently when I use this method I find the skin tone tending towards nuclear.

A better method, for me, is to create a duplicate layer, choose Screen mode and then, while watching the histogram, lower the screen layer's opacity to get the highlight data where you want it. I also sharpened your image using smart sharpen at .3 pixels and 70%. Other than these final editing steps you done good!

Via Levels adjustment:
    2764659447_ee3cab1860_o.

Via Screen Layer with opacity reduction:
    2765504786_24e4c32611_o.

9. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    I was wondering why that shadow was showing up. She is a tall gal. Thanks so much for the feedback.

10. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Thank you. Though, it doesn't look underexposed on my monitor.

Thank you, Charles. I agree, either get rid of the necklace or use a more appealing one.

11. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Thanks for looking and commenting, Greg. I always appreciate what you have to say :smile:

Lightening up her hair is a very good idea. Thanks so much!

12. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Thanks for the tip, Woody. I played around a bit with the levels and when I did move it left where the data began, it looked a little too hot for me. I'll have to mess around with it some more.

13. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Ah hah! Thanks a lot, Stuart! That does seem to be a much more sublte way of adjusting brightness without blowing out the skin. Wow. :biggrin:

14. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    Glad to be of help. The levels adjustment method rarely works for me for the reason you state.....makes the skin get hot and seems to increase saturation and sometimes overall tint

For the record.....it was Woody who taught me about layers!:wink:

15. Okay, now I need you to help me. Please tell me where you find the skin tone to be "too hot" on this image.

original.

16. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Well that actually looks great. Although, I am currently viewing it from my work pc. At home on my Mac, it looked much hotter than that.

17. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    It's the color and saturation that looks off to me. Very lobster-like. But your second post looks less lobster than the first. Is it the same edit?

18. Stu, the object of a levels adjustment is make a technical correction in the file's data, that's all. There's not enough information in this file to establish if the WB is correct or not so we have no idea what the color of this person's skin is.

I'm not trying to optimize the image, I'm simply trying to show the gentleman the result of of a levels adjustment, that is the removal of the muddy haze from the original.

And yes, both images are the same.

19. I'm on a Mac too.

Please define "hot".

20. Time out while I calibrate my monitor...

I'm back...

Ah, now I see. I'm stuck on technical, Stu's on creative.

I agree that the skin tone may not be correct but there's not enough info in the file to verify correct WB so any guess is good. Chances are if you asked 5 people to "optimize" her skin tone you'd get 5 different results. If I was one of the 5, you'd only get 4 because I'd insist on a gray card to be incorporated in the capture, and then I'd convert it to B&W in protest.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2008
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.