lines in a polarizing filter

Real Name
Kristin Rutkowski
I purchased a used B+W 72mm circular polarizing MRC filter from B&H, and used it for a month. I was cleaning it yesterday, with all my lenses and camera, next to a window with bright sunlight. And I noticed, when holding it at a certain angle, these lines appeared. They appear to be *in* the glass, as there are no physical marks on the surface. And I only see them at certain angles to the light. I haven't noticed any image quality issues, but I haven't looked for it yet either. Has anyone seen this before? Know what it is?

Attachments

You say you cleaned it? Did you use a liquid lens cleaner? Looks to me that some fluid got to the edge and caused de-lamination. Had that happen once, I now put 2 drops of cleaner on a cloth making sure no liquid gets to the edges.

Real Name
Kristin Rutkowski
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the input, all.

when I cleaned it, I didn't put any liquid on the filter. I put two drops on a pec pad, and cleaned them. And I used a lens cleaning cloth.

I emailed B&H, and they asked me if it affected the images, and if I wanted to return it.

I would say that you purchased a linear polarizer. Those were the type used before autofocus. The polarizing filters for use on autofocus are circular polarizing filters. I checked my B+W filter, it is marked "circular polarizer" on the frame.

From Hoya: A linear polarizer differs from a circular polarizer in that it does not support the use of a camera's autofocus or auto exposure functions; it is best suited for use with manual cameras, such as view cameras, that are not dependent on internal mechanisms to determine focus or metering settings.

Last edited:
Real Name
Kristin Rutkowski
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well, B&H took back their offer to return it (it's outside the return window), and offered $20 instead. I guess I'll take that. And try to be more diligent at inspecting things when I purchase used items in the future.

Hello Kristin Rutkowski, my name is Carla F:

Thank you for contacting the Customer Service Department at B&H Photo Video and Pro Audio.

I do apologize, we are fully functioning however this filter shipped on 1/30/2020 and we only have a 30 days return period. We are unfortunately unable to process a return authorization for this item. As a courtesy we could offer you a price adjustment of $20, would you like to accept this offer?

Please let us know if you require any further assistance.

Thank you, we appreciate your business.

Carla F
B&H Photo Video and Pro Audio
The Professional's Source.
E-Mail Customer Service Department

--------------- Original Message ---------------

Sent: 3/27/2020 10:36 PM
Subject: lines inside filter

Hi Jim,

I apologize for the delay in responding. I would like to return the filter, and I will purchase a new one at a later date. With the restrictions due to coronavirus, I'm not sure if you are still accepting returns? How should I send it back?

Thank you,
Kristin

Sent: Monday, March 16, 2020 12:44 PM
To: [email protected] <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: lines inside filter

Hello Kristin, my name is Jim M:

Thank you for contacting the Customer Service Department at B&H Photo Video and Pro Audio.

I am sorry to hear that. This is not typical. Is it impacting your pictures? Do you want to return it?

Please let us know if you require any further assistance.

Thank you, we appreciate your business.

Jim M
B&H Photo Video and Pro Audio
The Professional's Source.
E-Mail Customer Service Department

--------------- Original Message ---------------

Sent: 3/15/2020 5:13 PM
Subject: lines inside filter
Customer's Name: Kristin Rutkowski
Order Number: 1061296391
----------------------------------------------
Hello,

I purchased a used B+W 72mm circular polarizing MRC filter from B&H (Order #1061296391), about a month ago. I was cleaning it yesterday, with all my lenses and camera, next to a window with bright sunlight. And I noticed, when holding it at a certain angle, these lines appeared. They appear to be *in* the glass, as there are no physical marks on the surface. And I only see them at certain angles to the light.

A picture showing the lines:
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/...cuO36x5vRNey20Xy8GPwyohNnS8gI2Ze6WYybpAcHQhw$

Are these lines normal?

Thank you,
Kristin

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom