Linux

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Chris C, Jul 2, 2007.

1. I'm going to have to purchase a new computer so I can run NX at an acceptable speed/level/or whatever the proper term might be. I've a good friend who has gotten rid of Windows and is using Linux. He says he really likes the way it works. He's not a photographer, so has no idea if NX and Linux are compatable.

Do any of you use Linux?

2. AirTimid

AirTimid

Feb 17, 2006
    Nova Scotia
    From what i've read, no. I think Capture 4.4 works...mostly.

3. AirTimid

AirTimid

Feb 17, 2006
    Nova Scotia
    Forgot to mention. I just installed Ubuntu 7.04 Linux on my older laptop. I like it, but it is a little frustrating coming from a Windows background.

4. Pete

Pete

Jun 10, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Chris,
    I use Linux for most of my general computer stuff but NX will not run on it. Neither will Photoshop, Nikon View and many other programs I use so I have a Windows machine just for photography. There are ways to get them to run on Linux but then it becomes slow. My suggestion would be to buy your new computer with Windows for your photographic stuff and rebuild your old computer using Linux. This way you will get the exposure to Linux and see if you want to use it. You have the advantage of a friend who is able to help you with Linux.
    Pete

5. Thanks for all the comments. I'll just stick with Windows, I guess. As far as my old computer, I still don't know what to do with it. It's a good computer............just not powerful enough to adequately run NX! I'll probably run the DOD eraser and donate it to someone who could benefit from it.

6. Chris, there is one raw editor program for sure you can try in Linux. Bibble is available in a Linux version and I believe you can download a trial for free. Bibble is pretty highly rated and can be found at www.bibblelabs.com. If you're considering Linux you can give Ubuntu a try (it's free and one of the best at this point) and see if Bibble/Linux works for you or not. Never hurts to experiment/play when it's free!

My own personal opinion of Linux is that it still an O/S for the techie types but getting better all the time especially with distro's like Ubuntu. Wasn't for me though and I ended up with a new MacBook that is based off of BSD (slightly similiar to Linux underneath) and also has the option to dual boot and use Windows now just like a regular PC if you find you still need that occasionally. Apple even provides the dual boot software for free (Bootcamp) complete with a free Windows driver disk but you do have to purchase Windows seperately.

You can also run NX natively now on Intel Macs with the release of version 1.1 of NX. Cheers!

7. I have run Linux for many, many years (since about 1993), and in fact earn my living as a Linux system administrator with responsibility for over 20 Linux servers. It's wonderful, but the best apps simply are not available for it (like Photoshop).

However, I am running Suse Linux 10.2 with VMware 6 on top of it and Windows XP SP2 in the VMware virtual machine, and it runs terrific (it's a powerful box though). I run Photoshop CS3 on it and the performance and stability are both excellent.

8. 2 of my 6 PC's are dual booted Windows/Linux (suse 9.2 on one, testing out Ubuntu on another). 1 is Win98, 2 are XP only and the last one is a server running suse 10.1 (currently down since I needed the dvd drive off of it to test out another OS).

Granted I'm in windows most the time. Just learning linux so when M$ finally stops supporting XP I'll jut convert everything to linux (except the main rig and laptop just for use with my graphics programs)

9. technick

technick

Jun 8, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Linux is definitely worth checking out. I've been using Linux as my primary desktop for over three years now and i've been able to run Photoshop CS2 under Ubuntu Dapper Drake for awhile now.

If you decide to take the virtualization route, which isn't bad but will require you to have a better machine overall. Be sure to pick a machine that has a processor designed for virtualization and a lot of memory. (Their are several virtualization products to choose from, some better then others)

10. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    Here's a radical suggestion. Get a Mac. Unix underneath, native support for Photoshop and other useful applications, and things run smoothly.

11. ckdamascus

ckdamascus

May 14, 2005
    New Jersey
    As many have said, Linux simply does not have all of the best photo apps and their open source equivalents tend to be lacking. I suppose it is okay if you are on an absolute budget and you are willing to learn the nitty gritty needed.

For hardcore photography, you are better off with Windows or Mac OS-X.

12. mallaig

mallaig

Mar 12, 2006
    Do you run CS2 through WINE? If so, how would you compare the performance to that of Windows or OS X?