Listing all of ones gear at the bottom of ones posts

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rbsinto, Apr 8, 2007.

1. Don't want to start a war, but why do people find it necessary to list all of their gear at the bottom of their posts? I'm never impressed by the gear someone has, but only by the photos they take. My cameras and lenses are tools and nothing more. I suppose if I found it necessary to list them, I'd also have to list my power tools and our kitchen appliances as well.
    I'd appreciate if someone could enlighten me about this practice.
  2. It is and has been common for folks to do this. They are proud of the gear they use and have aquired. It is perfectly acceptable here to do this if one desires.
  3. I personally think it's pointless (almost ridiculous) but that's just me...
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2007
  4. I don't see anything wrong with it.
  5. MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;
  6. wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    I noticed it among a number of folks when I joined here, and presumed it was the common thing to do. I find it also helpful on the few occasions where I notice someone has a piece of equipment and I get to ask the owner about it.

You may infer whatever thoughts you wish about the practice, but that doesn't mean you're correct.
  7. The chemist

The chemist

Jul 22, 2005
    I find it helpful as I can usually guess what camera/lens they used to take the shot. This gives me an idea of that combo's FOV and how it may portray certain details or how it handles certain light etc.
  8. I don't know why I added it to my signature to start with. But I found that many people send me private messages asking for feedback on a lens or something. I can only assume it is because of my signature and not because they have found a 2 year old post when I talked about the lens.

I know I am not bragging or anything it is just an FYI. I agree with you completely in that they are just tools to help me make my art.

Just my $.02
  9. I just find it interesting as to why anyone cares if folks do this or not. Or why anyone would think it would cause a war. Or why anyone cares if someone else does it to "impress" somebody else or not.

I guess my point is, why give a rip anyway? Then again, oh, never mind .... :rolleyes:
  10. For me, it has nothing to do with ego at all, otherwise I'd list all my jewelry too! :biggrin:
    For me, it's to inform folks that I do own and use this equipment, and if they're thinking of getting it, or need further info, they'll ask... and they do - by the dozens!!! My 12-24 is a Tokina, so plenty of people who are thinking of getting the Nikon 12-24 PM asking how I like the Tokina version. Because I comically list my 2 kayaks, I get all sorts of questions about using a kayaking with photography.

One of my favourite sayings: If this is the biggest problem of your day, I'll gladly trade lives! :biggrin: What on earth do you care what folks put in their signature???? I personally don't care if they want to list all their kids names, the names of pets they've owned - just as long as it doesn't involve any flashing lights!!!
  11. reyv

Apr 7, 2006
    SF Bay Area, CA
    this thread comes up ones in a while, i guess people assume others post their gear to impress them or others. personally, i'm glad people post their gears. i have contacted people directly to ask them opinions about specific gears.

live and let live.
  12. I have to update my thoughts so I don't sound too harsh.

I can see the benefits to listing the equipment but I still find it useless.

What I find ridiculous is when someone gets technical and fancy about it (D200, 80-200mm f:2.8 IF ED AF-S TWO-TOUCH AKA "The Father of Long Zoom lenses", 28-70mm f:2.8 AF-S ED IF 77mm filter ring Black Color AKA "The Beast")...

Don't laugh, this is for real...
  13. MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
  14. doin a lil venting there Ned??
  15. I reiterate. I'm just curious about the practice. I didn't claim to be right or anything else, and truly, everyone does what they do. I merely asked for an explanation of a practice I never understood.
  16. Every once in a while, Ned and I may have a little difference or twenty :wink:, but every now and then he hits one right on the old nosey. I read this, and I'm STILL Laughing, and I even KNOW it's real darnit, but I can't help myself.

Sorry, Ned, I'm laughing my you-know off, agreeing with you all the way. Since you are going to vent a touch, let me add THIS bit. A 24 line signature, 1 item per line of course, on 1 line posts. This, of course, happens in email as well, and don't even get me STARTED on artsty-fartsy email backgrounds :Guns: :Guns: :Guns:

Ya' gotta love it now and then, dontcha????? :biggrin: :biggrin: :Guns:
  17. Bah, a little venting but really just having fun :smile:
  18. MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
  19. I just KNEW I could count on you to continue being the RESIDENT BRAT!!!! :biggrin: Don't ever change!
  20. haze2

Mar 18, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'll chime in since I like seeing the gear listed for all the reasons others have mentioned. It's nice to see who is using a piece of equipment that I am considering for purchase. Besides, there is nothing wrong in being proud of your gear, and if you want to strut your stuff with a listing, have at it.

My Gear: Nikon D80, Nikon FE, 2 kit lenses, 2 ex-wives, 3 daughters, 1 son, 3 granddaughters, BIG truck, Bitchen Motorcycle, Fly big jets, Eat out often, House in the 'burbs, Swimming pool, 3-car garage, Stainless Steel appliances, Built-in Wine Cooler, 401K, Vacation Fund, Hunting Bow, Power Tools, Air Compressor, No Suit, 2 pairs of jeans, 10 pairs of shorts, and 30 T-Shirts.