1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Little Bird Shots with the D700

Discussion in 'Birds' started by beaucamera, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Yes, it's a challenge getting close enough to get a good shot, but it teach one the patience.

These are all heavy crops: a couple of hummers and some crazy bushtits, who like to hang upside down, like a some Wall Street Bankers.

I want to thank Andreas Berglund for suggesting this procedure which I attempted to employed with the D700.

"Don't be afraid to go up to ISO 1000 or even more in good light with the D3. I would suggest up to 1/1600 or even faster for the landing shots, to freeze the bird even more. The way I do that is to turn on Auto ISO, then use Manual exposure to set F8 and the speed I want and then EV comp as needed."

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

#1 ISO 5600, 1/2500 sec at f/8
    103802934.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

#2 ISO 2800, 1/2500 sec. at f/8
    103802936.jpg

#3 ISO 1000, 1/2500 sec at f/8
    103802939.jpg

#4 ISO 640, 1/2500 sec. at f/8
    103802942.jpg

#5 ISO 640, 1/2500 sec at f/8
    103802944.jpg

#6 ISO 800, 1/2500 sec. at f/8
    103802946.jpg

2. your patience paid off!

3. BIGBEAR

BIGBEAR

Nov 16, 2007
    Forney, Texas
    Virginia, those are great shots!! Love the hummers. I am trying to plan my lanscape and I love the purple flowers and it seems the birds do to. What is that??

4. Thanks, Cindy!

Hi, bear

The flowers are from Mexican sage plant. I've been re-landscaping too.
    The local nursery tells me that humming birds are attracted to almost any tubular flower. I'm trying to use perennials and natives that attract birds. This takes a little gamesmanship, since I'm also looking for plants that use water sparingly and are deer proof too.:eek: 

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

5. WOW! Awesome captures....... gotta go look some more! :eek: :biggrin:

Ah, now that I know the plant i have on my wish list is the same as your Mexican Sage, I'm gonna be sure to get some! Nice!!!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.