Little Blue Heron

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Louis Champan, Nov 28, 2005.

1. A Little Blue Heron shot I got while at Viera Wetlands.

[​IMG]

louie

2. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Louie,

Just a soft delicate color on the bird, silky is the word that comes to mind.

I would, however, consider cloning out the branch around his beak, a tiny bit distracting, but that is really nitpicking, just an awesome light capture on the feathers and color.

Wade

3. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Nice shot all around, but I do believe it's a Reddish Egret.

4. Nice shot and I agree it's very silky looking! Take a look at Harry's thread with the Reddish Egret for comparison but I think you're correct about the little blue. The little blue's beak is more grey-blue while the egret's is more black.

5. Could this even be a Tri-Colored Heron? How about we have a poll :wink:

Whatever it is, it is really nice, congrats Louie. But why, oh why, didn't you bring the sun and warmth back with you??????

6. Thanks for the comments and suggestions everyone. I'm not the expert on Herons, I was just going by what it appeared to be based on my bird book.

Bill, come on, we wouldn't know how to act if our weather was nice and warm and not raining and windy, now would we.

louie

7. To paraphrase "Speak for yourself, oh wetman....". I have no problem whatsoever in dealing with sunshine and 70 degrees, 370 days of the year......:wink:

As to the bird ID, it is tough with these particular birds. What makes me think Tri-colored, and I am probably wrong, is the reddish neck and the lighter under-belly. Then again, I wear glasses and the first time I saw a Short-eared Owl fly I said "Look, Nancy, I wonder what kind of little hawk that is?". At which point the real birder near me said, "Nope, Short-eared Owl" and when I didn't believe him, as the bird was flying 150 feet or so away, he handed me his binocs and made a believer out of me :redface:

8. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Hey Louie,

Thats a fine shot of a little blue heron. Th eLBH has a greyish bill with a black tip. It has greyish body and a purplish maroon head and neck. The reddish egret has a pink bill with a black tip. It has a grey body and reddish head and neck.The reddish egret has dark blue legs while the LBH has greenish rey legs. The tri-coor heron has a white under side, a long yellowish bill with a dark tip and has a grey head, neck, and body with reddish brown streaks on its white foreneck.

9. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Correct. :smile:

10. RForshey

RForshey Guest

Jeez, I would have called it a little bird with long legs, long beak and blue feathers! Great shot!

11. radz

radz

Nov 12, 2005
    NewDelhi,India
    Good one!Nice compo&sharp shot!

12. Thanks everyone for commenting. Little Blue Heron it is, based on some expert advice. Harry you nailed on the description.

louie