Little Corals

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gho, Apr 26, 2005.

1. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    I thought I'd update everyone on a few frags in my tank. These are my favorites, so you can see, I don't have much :D

(unknown coral #1)
    [​IMG]

Snail Rising over coral (dunno what it's called - Unknown #2)
    [​IMG]

This is a Bali something (unknown #3)
    [​IMG]

This one I know! It's a birdsnest, which kind, I dunno:
    [​IMG]

Finally figured this out - its a tennus(?):
    [​IMG]

And, of course, Unknown #4:
    [​IMG]

As you can tell, I've got a really bad memory :(

If anyone knows what these are, please let me know (the entire scientific name would be cool, and I'll update my website).

Otherwise, hope you like my unknowns.

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Beautiful, just beautiful work, Greg

I still haven't gotten around to trying this on the jeweler's saltwater fish. Could you review the lighting equip & lens used for this shoot?

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    GHO,

They are really beautifyl I don't know the name of anything.

Just pretty reef coral does it for me.

Well taken, clean and sharp.

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very nice pics Gregory, but I thought that you knew the names of all of these species.... 8)

Regards,

Frank

6. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    MontyDog: Heheh... LOL... Actually, I don't spend much time on the tank. Every other week I change out 5 gallons of water (which takes like 10 minutes), and that's pretty much it.

As far as not knowing what the corals are, I got most of them from frag swaps (reefer parties) and I was maybe not entirely present when it was ID' for me.

Usually what happens is the next morning I wake up and see all these little baggies floating in my tank, so I figure I may as well glue the little animals down.

I do a little clean-up, its my own tank, so I can cut flow and that minimizes the stuff floating around the tank. For these, I just shot them like a few hours ago, and I'm really lazy tonite for some reason, so I didn't really do any clean up. If you look close you'll see little specs. Guess I'll have to re-do them.

Sometimes I shoot for clients that don't want to cut circulation to their tanks and I end up with something like this:

[​IMG]

Which, of course does not motivate me to do very many pics. Usually if the client is being a B**** about it, then they just get far fewer photos :D

Steve S: These were actually set up a little differently than I normally shoot. I don't really like the results, but was just wondering if anyone else would pick up on it.

The first three photos were shot "Top Down" i.e., through the top of the tank rather than the side. My tank is really small, so its tough to get the camera in there, so my shot options are severly limited, unless I get a smaller camera.

The last three were shot more typically from the front of the tank. Here's where I changed my normal setup - I used a scond SB800 for fill flash. Yet, at even -3EV it's still too bright, so I don't think I'll be doing that any more.

Basically my setup is simple: Nikon D70, 60mm/2,8, SB800 via SC-17:

[​IMG]

Gale: Well, at least I'm in comfortable company. You'd think as the owner though, I should know, huh? How many dog owners don't know the breed of their dog?

Thanks for your very kind note - glad to be of help.

7. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Thanks for the refresher, Greg

I've got that same equip, and must try this! btw, what do you set your SB800 to?

8. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
  9. Very nice images Gregory. I always look forward to your posts so was glad to see these. Well done.

10. Beautiful pictures!! :D :D :D

11. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Beautiful photos (especially #5) Gregory, and thanks for the reminder of your 'how to' website!

12. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    greyflash: Wow, thanks Patrick, that means a lot. Sometimes I feel that I'm falling out of the "in" crowd because I don't always agree with Nikon's marketing. I'm glad that you still enjoy my work.

PhotoDawg: Thanks!

Chris101: I figured out #5 - it's an Acropora tenuis (like you care, huh? ;)) Thanks for the comments though.

13. Gregory,

Well done. I have to get to mine as well. I did a lot of shooting in Houston couple weeks ago. Friend of mine has a Aquatic Gallery and I was sitting there and taking macro shots.

BTW. Thanks for your participation on APF.

14. Excellent work as always whenever I see your reef picture it rekindles the memories of my reef tank from about ten years ago.

15. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Jay: Thanks for the compliment. I promised paradise a while back that I would check it out when he first started it, but signed up and never got a chance to get back to it.

The photography there is just so amazing, that I'm a little embarassed participating there. I think my contributions there are negligible as it seems everyone there is way above me, talentwise.

I'll try and keep up with it though.

Thanks! You should start up a little nano! Mine's a nano so its pretty easy to stock, and there's severe limitations on what you can do with it, so you're not tweaking it quite as much as with a larger system.

No Ca+ reactor, no phosban reactor, no ozoner, no tunzes, no wavemakers, no bazillion watts of halides switching on and off, just a skimmer and a return pump and a nominal bit of lighting. When I had a 10g nano, it was simply a powerfilter for circulation with no skimmer.