Little Forest Gremlin

Discussion in 'Birds' started by CraigH., Feb 5, 2005.

1. CraigH.

CraigH.

Feb 1, 2005
    Northen NJ
    I found this guy while hiking one day near worthington state forest. I stopped for a break and was sitting about 5 feet from it when I noticed it looking at me. It scared the hell out of me at first because I have never seen anything like it. it was only about 5 inches tall.
    Harris probally remembers this little guy. Iposted it about 2 years ago on the coolpix forum. Just thought Id share this with the new forum.
    original.
    regards :)

2. Not an expert but I would say you have captured an image of a burrowing owl. Even when they are full grown they only about 7 or 8 inches tall. Nice image.

3. CraigH.

CraigH.

Feb 1, 2005
    Northen NJ
    You mean it's not really a gremlin? :eek:

4. Gordon, that ain't no Burrowing Owl...its a fledgling, although I can't tell you which owl it is offhand, its definitely a baby. The nest was probably very close by and it must have fallen or jumped from the nest. Those fuzzy feathers are not flight feathers yet! Also, there are no burrowing owls in the northeast (Craig lives in New Jersey.)

Craig, I do remember that shot, it is awesome! What an incredible find. Probably mom or dad was nearby as well.

5. CraigH.

CraigH.

Feb 1, 2005
    Northen NJ
    Hi Janet. It was suggested to be a baby screech. it was found in mixed hardwood and pine forest.

6. W O W

That is an incredible capture, beautifully done I might add!!!!!!!!!!!! :!:

7. BFD - Bad Feather Day :lol: :lol: :lol:

You were nice and calm when you noticed him, right :?:

8. CraigH.

CraigH.

Feb 1, 2005
    Northen NJ
    thanks. I was thinking the same thing. :)

9. Wow only a face a mom could love poor little guy hope he gets reunited with his family , nice capture Craig