Little girl at turn of century

Discussion in 'People' started by RayGuselli, Nov 29, 2005.

1. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Tried to change this image of a little girl captured at a Dickensian festival into one from turn of century.

Tried to get an old English painted look sort of Wuthering heights/Victorian feel.

Has it worked please?

Best wishes

Ray

original
    [​IMG]

processed

[​IMG]

2. Hi Ray, I certainly have no problem with what you have done to this shot but do feel that the face of the little girl was taken too far. IMHO I feel that the image would be improved if you lightened up the face a little.

3. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Hi Gordon - same advice from Gale in retouching

I have lightened up the face a little and am hapier now - you were both right.

I was going to add some texture to make it look like a painting but it does not work as such so left as is.

However, bringing back the face is definitely better whilst leaving the background.

Hope this is better.

Thanks

Ray

[​IMG]

4. Yes, Ray. The second version is much better and I like it.

5. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Thanks Phil

Had to follow the advice from people and am glad I did.

It was too dark but now think it has come out dramatic whilst retaining the features of the little girl.

Thanks again

Ray

6. Much better Ray but I would still suggest that you also lighten the hat some so as not to lose detail. You don't have to do much but a little would help. I like the background as is and it gives mystery to the image.

7. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Very nice! I too would like the hat a bit lighter.

8. JB

JB

May 27, 2005
    Washington, DC
    Ray,

Your PP of the image reminds me of the look in Tim Burton's film Sleepy Hollow with Johnny Depp. Did you see it?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2005
  9. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Thanks

Many thanks for the posts and advice.

I can lighten the hat quite easily and will probably have a go at that.

It has been suggested in another forum that the sky is too severe but i think it actually adds to the shot.

I have tired replacing with other lighter skys but somehow it suddenly loxses the aged feel to it.

Will keep experimenting.

JB - no did not see the film.

I must have a look and see if I can find anything on it now - you have me wondering!!!

Just googled it - WOW!

You're right - it is very similar.

Many thanks for pointing out.

It shows exactly what I have been trying to achieve and that is exactly it. Thanks a lot.

Very best wishes

Ray

10. sfoxjohn

sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
    Hi Ray,

I definitely like the second version. Unless you really want to, leave the sky. Those brooding skies are definitely a part of your style as I've noticed in lots of your other pictures. Besides, didn't you say Wuthering Heights?

Regards

11. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    To John

Thanks John

I think that sky has to stay. I looked on a couple of sites and someone referered me to a film called sleepy hollow.

Very similar feel to the shot I have above.

I think the Wuthering heights feel is what I wanted and that sky sort of provides it....imo.

Thanks again for the post.

Very best wishes

Ray

12. JB

JB

May 27, 2005
    Washington, DC
    Tim Burton is a good one to emulate, he's a pretty creative guy. All his movies have a "look" and you found one of them. We all know the effort that goes into processing one still image. Imagine the effort (human, computationally, data storage, etc) that goes into processing a feature length movie. It really is staggering.