Little Girl on the TRE

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by Rick Waldroup, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Little Girl on the Trinity Rail Express - Fort Worth, Texas - August 2008

Once again, the camera was a Ricoh GRDII

102899392.gif

2. Love it - she's a little small and seems to lack a bit of contrast, but a great shot. I love the symmetry.

3. Thanks for the comments. It is funny, but the two issues you mentioned are the one's I was worried about too. :wink:

At first I thought she may be too small in the frame, but after enlarging it and looking at the shot, I left her the way she was. And I also thought about increasing the contrast a bit. I tried it and did not like the way it looked. I wanted a more high key look. However, I am not sure if that works either. Thanks for the observations.

Here is a link to a larger version and also, this version seems to have just a bit more contrast- but that could just be my eyes.

Also, for some reason, my wife finds this shot creepy. :eek:

http://www.pbase.com/rickwphotography/image/102899392

4. I can see that it could be problematic boosting the contrast. Also, reducing the crop I think wouldn't work so well, as you can see the whole rows of seats, which works really nicely. Given the circumstances, it's great!

5. I think the composition and crop are fine. It fixes her tiny size in an adult world. Are you comfortable with the focus, it seems a bit soft?

6. I can't speak for the OP, but I quite like the effect it gives, whether intended or not.

7. Yep Rich, I noticed too that it looks soft. Go look at the link I posted, and it seems sharper? Maybe I am doing something wrong with posting the photo here on the forum. Or maybe the image is soft. Let me know what you guys think.

8. Well, after checking the EXIF info, it appears that the shutter speed was 1/23- so that very well could account for the softness. Fortunately the train was not moving at the time I shot it. Also, the ISO was 800. These little cameras are notorious for a lot of noise at higher ISO's, but the Ricoh, in the B&W mode, has a tendency to make the shots look very much like film grain- not always, but a lot of the time, the camera gets very close to a film look.

9. That is better. Looking carefully at her mother the purse seems the focus point which looks to put the girl about a foot behind that. I suspect the software the service uses to size the image may have worsened it. The link is good enough though.

10. Well, at least it is not my eyes. :smile:

I am due for an eye checkup. My eyes are failing me as I get older. I had perfect vision until I hit 40. Then BOOM!

I did not even own an autofocus camera until I was about 45 years old. I shot rangefinders for years and years and old Nikons but eventually I just found it too hard to focus. :mad:

11. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Wonderful image !

12. Thanks for the very kind comment about the photo.

13. cool composition.... and GLOW
    i like it

14. Thanks Greg.

I have found that this camera does produce a certain glow in the B&W jpg mode. I don't know if that is a lack of quality in the lens and the camera, but I do know that it is something I find interesting. :cool:

Thanks for the comment.

15. dhean

dhean

Dec 16, 2007
    CA
    Nice picture. I initially thought the girl was in an airplane and told my self "OMG, there are no seats belts in this plane." Then I read the title again and realized it was a train! :redface: