Little Girls...

Discussion in 'People' started by j_b_l, May 6, 2007.

1. Most of you remember that I had my first "real" for-pay photo shoot a couple of months ago at my son's pre-school. One of the girls' parents wanted me to take individual shots of their daughters...so the shoot was yesterday.

Tried my new studio lights. I bought 3 AB800s, used one for key in a 47" octabox camera right, 2 lighting the white seamless paper background (one high and one low). Fill was provided by my SB800 in SU-4 mode at 1/4 power. The kids were moving around so much...the catchlights are all over the place in their eyes...hard to keep those little ones still :eek: I decided to trade a half-way decent expression for proper catchlights :wink:

[​IMG]

And a different look. Same AB800 in same octabox for key, but one of the ABs is just behind the girl shooting through a pink gel onto a black background. 3rd AB is above and behind the girl, camera left, through a 30 degree grid spot for a hairlight.

[​IMG]

And of course, some garage light:

[​IMG]

And as a tribute to Tom Johnson (tomj), here is one I took as an "outtake"...he has the best shots in between shots...

[​IMG]

We had a good time, even thought the baby puked all over my new black background...good thing it's a seamless roll of paper...just cut off that end...

We had a good time, but I sure have a newfound respect for baby photographers...yipes...I couldn't image doing that all day. I was exhausted and it was only an hour or so...

I still have about 40 shots to go through...but these were my favorites so far.

2. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

excellent photos ..sorry about the baby hurling on the background (but it is kinda funny, lol) ....;-)))

3. great shots!

4. These are fantastic and you should be proud of your hard work. Babies just don't puke on anything, they always look for the good stuff :biggrin:

Dennis

5. Great work John...... I don't envy you though! :eek: :eek: :eek:

G

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Precious shots.
    Prefer color though

7. John, I know exactly what you mean when you say your were exhausted after an hour of shooting. In spite of the difficulty you have come up with some cute shots. Looks like you are on top of your new lights and using them to good effect.

8. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    I'd say you got the hang of your strobes quickly. These are great John. The second is really wonderful. The first is adorable and a really great capture. I bet it was tough trying to get that shot!?

I like your garage shot, but one of the best things about garage lighting is the cool catchlights.......your subject here doesn't have any though. Everything else about it is excellent.

The candid is a great family portrait that they should frame and hang.

Four great photo's! Well done!

Nice to see you using studio lighting.........you're a natural for this type of work and you should have bought them sooner!!:wink:

9. Thanks...I think the parents were more upset than was I...

Thanks, Dennis...appreciated!!

Graeme, no kidding...it was fun, though...might have to say "yes" to the next person that asks...

Gale, thanks...the garage shot in color is pretty cool too...I just have a think about garage light and b/w...

Gordon, thanks...it was kind of cool to be able to pop off two shots together without having to list to the capacitor on my SB800s charge...although I did miss the portability...

Stu, thanks. Yeah, I know, I know. The first shot here was one of the first I took before the baby melted down...the middle shot was right at the end after she had puked her guts out and managed to feel a little better...

Thanks...I really did enjoy it...appreciate the kind words...

10. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    These are excellent John. Looks to me like you have your lights dialed in beautifully. I'm sure the puke was all in a days work for you as an experienced Daddy. :smile:

11. Wow man... you really hit the ground running... very impressive! I really like the second but the first is good too. I'm sure the parents are thrilled!

12. I love the second picture!!! They are all really great.

13. Well, if they're not thrilled with these it's certainly not your fault... these are excellent.

That's a pretty powerful gel effect for a black BG.

14. Brian, thanks...I'm meeting with them on Tuesday to go over the results...should be a good meeting :wink:

Thanks! I was lucky to get it...just pressed the shutter at the right time...LOL...

15. Woody, thanks...your opinions mean a lot to me.

I was surprised at the gel effect also...but I'm a vignette type of guy (I add it to almost all of my shots like that), so it seemed to make sense. There was a thread on the lighting forum over at DPR with a link to a review that someone did on the various colors of backgrounds (white, black, grey) and how you can tint them with gels. Black seemed to be the best, giving the richest feel to the shots in my opinion...so that's what I went with. I'm still not sure it's the best for me, but it's fun experimenting...

16. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    John,
    What a fantastic job you did. I agree that it is fun!

17. MurphyD

MurphyD

Jan 17, 2007
    South Texas
    John,
    I know everyone wants the perfect posed and pretty portraits, (and these parents are getting some great examples), but that "outtake" and the "garage light" shot really captured something special. They should pay double or triple for those.
    David
    Now please explain garage light????????

18. reggieanne

reggieanne

Feb 17, 2007
    Arlington, TX
    these are beautiful pictures! i think i need to get me an sb800 as well..hehe

19. Great work John - I just get the multi speedlight sorted, and you move on to ABs... Typical!

Love the second shot... The colour works really well.

I look forward to seeing the others from the set.

Paul

20. Terri, thanks so much...appreciate the comments!

Anna, thanks. SB800s are wonderful...