Little Green Heron - Da Flip ... and a Bonus Bird ...

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Retief, Jul 23, 2005.

1. Two days in a row this Little Green Heron has been kind enough to pose in the same spot, at the same time. This is one of the feeding sequences I have caught in the last two days. Not as clean a "flip" as I'd like, but ....

The initial spearing of the fish was back to us, so I picked this up about 4 frames into the sequence.

The Spear - one impaled little fishy....
    DSC2664.sized.

At this point the bird started shaking its beak, trying to dislodge the fish. Notice the 16 frame gap, for the math impaired :wink: that is 2 seconds at 8 fps :lol: .

Dislodge and Launch!
    DSC2680.sized.

The Catch...
    DSC2682.sized.

And then the Bonus Bird, a Sora. The light was really going away quickly and the bird was under cover, but he came out just far enough for this one.

Late in the Day Sora...
    DSC2850.sized.

We were only about 30 feet or so away from these birds, I'll be posting more "Little Green Heron with an Attitude" shots over the next couple of days.

Off early in the AM, hoping the Kingfisher really does come closer....

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Good catches Bill. Pretty darn sharp for 700mm. :wink:

3. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

4. Whoa, these are Great!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Great catches! Notice how he's giving you the birder's salute in the first shot (butts to you!) Nice and sharp, how I like 'em. Love the lichen on the branch, adds character to the whole shot.

6. Thanks, Frank, I shot about 400 of this bird in the last 2 days. Being only about 30 feet or so away with good light, heck, I thought I was in Florida with a Disney bird or something :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, it is that crummy old Sigma 500 HSM f4.5 lens with that equally junky Nikon TC-14E, I hate it.....NOT :lol: I think the combo with this lens and a TC-17E is really going to be a killer.

7. Thanks a lot, Dave, much appreciated. It really helps having the combo of good light, a willing and cooperative subject and good equipment. I am, by far, the weak link in this chaing.

8. ROFLLMAO - Twice :lol: :lol: :lol: "birder's salute", I love it :!: Funny part about this whole sequence is the series of shots just before the first one I posted, where he is REALLY "Butt On". The more he worked the fish, the more he turned to his left.

It is interesting that you noticed the lichen, I agree. In fact I have a whole bunch of shots, a few of which I'll post over the next several days, where I think the image is a lot richer and more interesting due to a branch in the frame.

Thanks a lot for the comments.

Oh, on your Photo Elbow, have you seen my solution to your problem in your thread? I think it would really work well for you........