Little Green Heron @ Viera

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Kevin Scott, Oct 1, 2005.

1. Doesn't look like I'm going to get out shooting today so figured I'd post a couple shots from before.

Whenever I'm at Viera, I always make it a point to try to find the Least Bitterns. Don't know why but they have just become a staple when I visit. Most days I don't even see them, much less see them out long enough to get a good shot of them. They're extremely skittish. Anyway, here's a couple [edit: not LB but LGH :redface: ].
    The light was really nice.
    [​IMG]

This was the only flight shot that turned out reasonably well when he took off. It was too bad as the oof ones had some really interesting wing/body positions. Oh well, there's always next time. :wink:
    [​IMG]

The light was just starting to die and fade away
    [​IMG]

All taken with the 300/f4 + 1.4x. Thanks for looking!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2005
  2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Kevin,

It is funny..I got a bunch of pics of this bird and did not know it was a LB...Thought I blew a bunch of LGH's and deleted them all :<((( Dumb.

Thanks for posting these. Won't make that mistake again :>))

3. Kevin
    Sure those are not Green Herrons thought the Bitterns had more of a brown color to them, I could be wrong though, either way nice shots

4. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Hey Kevin,

Good shots but those are green herons. Its an easy mistake and one that I've made a number of times. Here's a least bittern that I caught at the wetlands

[​IMG]

5. Hmmmm....maybe so. I know the LB closely resembles the GH but this guy was about 1/2 the size of a typical Green. He was hanging out in one of the only places that LB frequent so I assumed it was a LB. If it is a GH I wonder why he was so much smaller than typical? Thanks for the clarification, in any case.

6. bfjr

bfjr Guest

LB or GH, good shots either way
    there pretty skittish ones, haven't been able to get within shooting distance of one yet

7. Thanks all, for the nice comments and the correction. ;)

8. Callie

Callie Guest

Hi Keven
    Nice Greenies, and yes, they are a pain to nail in flight, something I have never done. Ours are just not trusting enough.
    Thanks for looking at the warrior too.
    Reagrds

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Hi Ya Kevin...

I sure wonder about Sat weather. It is raining here off and on today.
    Guess we will see what tomorrow brings. Keep in touch.
    Cheers

10. Nice images of whatever they are Kevin. :smile:

11. Nice shots Kevin. Hope these around for the next few weeks.

12. Good looking bird. I have not seen the green heron around here in a while but to me it does look like the greenies we have here. Thanks for sharing with us Kevin.