Little League with 300 F4

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by JMartin, Apr 30, 2007.

1. JMartin

JMartin Guest

I got out to shoot my friend's younger son's game this weekend. A huge thank you to Mitchell, who let me borrow his 300 F4 for the game. I must say I like this lens a lot! I would prefer the 2.8, but I can see this one suiting my needs until that day arrives.

I am still processing the images, but here is one of the best series from the weekend.

The throw to second... Call for the ball fellas!

Stealing (?) Second

This bag is a little lumpy
  2. Fun shots. looks like you did real well
  3. definately fun shots!! Love the captions too
  4. JMartin

JMartin Guest

Thanks Eric and Dave.

I had a lot of fun using the lens. I am sure my wife will add Mitchell to her "list" very soon :biggrin: Payday is this week!

I actually had a lot less keepers than normal due to learning what settings to use and getting used to a 300mm prime. It makes you have a lot more respect for Mike, Frank, Randy and the rest of the guys. I am used to using my 70-200 and being able to zoom makes things a lot easier.
  5. These are a hoot, Joe. Good job capturing some great moments in sports. :smile:
  6. Joe,
    I'm glad to see you put that lens to good use. I must say that these images are sharp and have remarkable contrast. I don't recall it performing this well for me!:rolleyes:

Nice series. Please show us some more.
  7. goos stuff the 2nd one is classic as is the caption
  8. Great series Joe!
  9. JMartin

JMartin Guest

Thanks Dave! Every time out, my friend is very thankful for me taking time out to shoot his kids, but it is just as much for my practice as it is him. I am learning tons and that 300mm prime really adds a curveball to shooting over the zoom, but I love the added reach.

I am not really sure how well I did though, Mitch. I am finding more and more throw aways as I get into processing them. I had a huge hiccup as you saw in the other post. I won't get too down though, it is a learning process and I learned from it in a big way! I also learned that this lens will definately work to get started with. Thank you so much again for your generosity.

Thank you, Mike, I appreciate it. Were it not for you and some of the other guys here that post such wonderful stuff, I would not be as inspired as I am.
  10. rbsmith

Apr 13, 2005
    Saltillo, Ms
    Great shots Joe. Anybody can shoot the pros.
  11. Those are classic shots. Ask any mother of a 30-year-old son if she would like to have shots like those of her kid - when he was young. Some memories are priceless. Well done.
  12. JMartin

JMartin Guest

Thanks for the nice comments, Rex and Mark.

Unfortunately today is the day the lens goes back to Mitchell, but I think I will be ordering one this week. Each of my friend's boys have one day game left this Saturday, but then they go into playoffs, so I will have the new one for them.

The problem is sweet talking Jen into it, but I finally have some leverage. Another knit-picky problem popped up on the SUV, so she would like to go trade it in on the new one this week :biggrin: I think it's a fair trade... and then some in my favor!
  13. Very nice Joe! Now, don't tell Jen that you want one, tell her you need it - period, no wiggle room! Then in the same breath agree that y'all need to trade the SUV and all will be well with the Martins!
    BTW, you'll find the 300 a great lens for candids of the girls also.
  14. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    You should print the second as a poster, complete with the caption you made.
    I think it would be a bestseller. All your shots are good, but I love that second one. The caption is just perfect.