Little moppet

Discussion in 'People' started by TOLady, Apr 11, 2005.

1. I went to the Butterfly Conservatory on Friday and this little moppet kept following me around and gazing at me with this incredible, sweet face. I finally turned a bit and grabbed a picture of her. She didn't change her expression one iota - just kept gazing. I could have taken her home and snapped hundreds of pics of her - such a sweet little thing. Fuji S3 Pro, Tamron SP AF DI 90mm f/2.8 Macro
    original.

2. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    She must have wanted you to take a picture of her!!!...now where are the butterflies?

3. Great Candid

Wow, what a penetrating stare! Maybe she's a future budding photographer...checking out a "pros's" approach. Kids learn the darn-est ways...who knows.

Very lovely candid portrait.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

4. Leigh, I'm working on it, I'm working on it!! *LOL* Took over 600 pics that day, weeding them is a job in itself. Wasn't entirely happy with my selection of focal length (first real time out doing closeups with my new lenses & camera) so I'll have to go back and re-do them! Will post up the best when I get a chance.
    The look on her face was more "watching what you're doing", she didn't strike me as the princess "take my picture" type, just a curious little girl!

Thanks so much, Virginia. She was certainly fascinated with something - maybe my red hair?? *LOL* And no, it's not a runny nose, I think she has a scar there from some surgery. Her little rosebud mouth is what caught my attention at first. Talk about natural collagen lips! *LOL*

5. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    hey, i'm a redhead too!!!

6. Cute picture Sandi!! :) :) :) :)

Does that little girl have red lip stick on?

7. tweber

tweber

Feb 12, 2005
    St. Louis
    some colors

Sandi,

You couldn't have planned that portrait any better. Great light, amazing colors and what a look!

Tom

8. Love the LOOK by the little girl. You have captured it well. Nicely done.

9. Love the eyes great capture, and you describe her personality that comes through the picture to a tee

10. As Tom said, you cannot plan something like that and expect to get equal results.
    It's simply gorgeous and another proof that macro lenses are very useful for portraits as well.
    The Tamron 90 will most likely be my next purchase.

11. Wonderful portrait Sandra

I have been admiring your work for a long time Sandra from PhotoPoints to DPReview and into your PBase.

You have some genuine talent.

12. Thanks all for your kind words. She stared at me for so long that I just HAD to take this picture. I'm normally hesitant to point at camera at small children for fear of having some shrew screaming obscenities at me thinking I have some ulterior motive in mind. She watched me so intently, and I thought: with a face like that, if I don't grab a picture, I'll regret it all my life. She was just stunningly adorable. No lipstick on those lips - totally natural (of course you have to remember they keep the conservatory VERY hot and humid so we all had flushed faces! *LOL*) If I found out who she was, I'd shoot her for free for some formal portraits. Pics like this are a pleasure to see come up on the screen after a day of shooting.

Leigh: bottle red, but hey, it's the thought that counts. I'm loving being a 'red', certainly matches my personality, that's for sure! *LOL*

Tom, the lighting in this conservatory is incredible, just perfect for photographers: lightly diffused covering, and this pic is straight out of the Fuji S3 which has amazing colour reproduction. This pic is straight out of the camera, no cropping and just toned down the rock on the left a touch. I'm very happy with my new beastie.

Harry, I borrowed this Tamron 90 from a buddy of mine, to try it out. Not crazy about the macro abilities (my Nikon CP990 still works wonders as far as macro) but I certainly love its quality as a portrait lens. This is my first 'people' picture with it, and having good looking subject matter helps too!

Yves, I'm touched. Those are magnificent words coming from such a skilled photographer as yourself. I could only hope to attain your talent level.

13. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Sandi,

I can't really add much to the kudos already expressed here, but it is obvious from this shot that you do have a real talent for this. :wink:

Absolutely wonderful shot!! I couldn't get one like this if I tried 6,000 times. 8)

Regards,

Frank

14. Thanks Flew so much for that, but I'm only as good as the model. She was such a precious little thing and I'm sure she'll grow to hate her curly, fly-away hair but she sure looked darling with it on that day. I hate when you point a camera at a child and you end up with some cheesy, toothy grimace which serves as a smile because a parent has coached them that way. Much rather have a natural expression like this one, which you can only capture by not saying a word.... I could almost hear the wheels spinning inside that mind of hers.. all the other kids were off screaming and running around, she just stood quiety watching me with such intent. A magical moment caught on camera... ahhh, Photography for the Joy of It (Freeman Patterson).

15. iunknown

iunknown

Mar 18, 2005
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Beautiful shot Sandi. Great eyes & expression she's got there.

I am curious, did she talk to you after you took her picture?

16. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    A classic!

Really incredible shot Sandi! To think her lips were really that red naturally, and those piercing blue eyes are really something! She seems to intent on understanding what you're doing with that giant camera/lens combo! From your earlier replies, I assume you didn't get the name of the parent(s) so you could sent them a copy. That's too bad, as I bet they'd love to have a copy.
    PS, that's for teaching me a new term, "bottle red". That's a good one! :lol: