1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Little more light today. Hawk ID ?

Discussion in 'Birds' started by jryoung1947, Oct 3, 2008.

1. I am still playing with the sigma 150-500. The hawk about 200 feet and the mute swans were closer. This hawk is small I'd say about 10 inches. Any ID?

2909956750_a8f95c6a8b. 2909110211_dc77b30e22.

Camera: Nikon D700
    Exposure: 0.001 sec (1/1600)
    Aperture: f/6.3
    Focal Length: 500 mm
    ISO Speed: 560
    Exposure Bias: 0/6 EV

2909109893_8cf0a261ea. 2910043190_de805a3d32.

2. John, Nice shots. I have this lens also and have been using it on a D300. After hearing all of the negative reviews of it, I have gotten good results with it and I am happy to see that it is performing well for you also. Looking forward to meeting you and your wife in Cape Charles next weekend. Weather forecast looks favorable so far.

3. I have about 5 more days to evaluate this but I think I'll keep it. For me it is perfect for a morning walk and do "captures".

The fun is Dave Dickerson will be there and we will have an excellent comparison to top quality. I'll have my 400 f/2.8 too but I will never catch a BIF with MF and a 2X TC. Birds on a stick are fine with this lens.

We are eager to get there too!

4. genera

genera

Oct 6, 2005
    California
    John,

I think it's a Cooper's hawk. Nice job on it and on the swan shots as well.

5. cre8foru

cre8foru

Dec 1, 2007
    Atlanta GA
    Coopers hawk. Sharp-shinned hawks are almost Identical but have squared tails. This ones tail is rounded.

6. This appears to be a Sharp-shinned to me, an immature as well. The course brown streaking as ooposed to teardrops of the Cooper's. The shape of the tail can vary a bit and should never be the "be all end all" determining field characteristic.
    The head size in proportion to body fits far better for Sharp-shinned as well.

7. accipiter i.d.

"A photographic Guide to North American Raptors" has a picture immature Sharp-shinned hawk with the teardrop markings on the breast and flanks. It has pictures of Cooper's with both types of markings. I would have called this one a Cooper's but perhaps it just has to be recorded as unidentified.

Cheers,

Larry

8. ONe would have to consider the posture of the bird, if a Cooper's were a bit ruffled or shaking out it's feathers it could be seen as course streaking certainly. I still think the head size in proportion to body is a more defining characteristic, combined with the breast markings. allbeit the angle of the photo is rather steep.

9. I'll take a look at my raw images too. The tree was also full of immature Cedar Waxwings. The hawk was maybe twice the size, not large.

2909109893_8cf0a261ea_b.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.