Critique Live Steam

I was invited up to a local club that runs live steam engines. They have almost 2miles of 7 1/2" gauge track. They also run a 3 track loop of Gauge 1 and G Gauge.
The craftsmanship was amazing. I, of course, snapped a few images which I shared with the modelers. These are images of G scale.
There is a local black and white show that wants a touch of red, so although I do not usually do selective color I thought this worked. Looks great in a large print hanging in my studio.
Thanks for looking, any comments appreciated.
Gary

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thanks for the support. The track gauge is the same as the LGB, but these are handmade steam. Every part machined and polished. They burn primarily butane.
I was fighting backgrounds, but the natural light saved the day. Certainly challenging little things as they powered around- but I had a blast.
Gary

Real Name
John A Alexander
I really like both shots with number two being the winner for me. In the first one I would consider cropping it to remove the bit of rail on the left hand side and also dimming down the green background which seems a bit "powerful" on my screen.

I was invited up to a local club that runs live steam engines. They have almost 2miles of 7 1/2" gauge track. They also run a 3 track loop of Gauge 1 and G Gauge.
The craftsmanship was amazing. I, of course, snapped a few images which I shared with the modelers. These are images of G scale.
There is a local black and white show that wants a touch of red, so although I do not usually do selective color I thought this worked. Looks great in a large print hanging in my studio.
Thanks for looking, any comments appreciated.
Gary

View attachment 1649350

View attachment 1649351
These are amazing! But I second the idea of a slightly narrower crop of the first one, for a try, to cut off the curved track at the edge. Might work.

Thanks again for the support.
No the engines make very little noise. As in the first image they also make very little smoke, without some help. They run on butane, and can run for about 20min on a charge. Huge amount of torque, limited by wheel/track traction. Some of the cars are scale, some are just lgb cars. The men I meet were also terrific and interesting. I will be going back.
I thought about cropping the left side of image #1, but it cropped out the green train car, and I like the way it blended that side of the image into the background. I tried cloning it out and the train was "floating" in a weird way- at least to me. I left it as an anchor point- maybe because I knew it belonged there. I will look at cloning it out again. I find these insights very helpful. I appreciate the input.
Gary

I love trains and planes. Just awesome shots, and what a great opportunity. Congrats.

In my small community of Gray Ga, there was an oilman. As a contractor, we were building a filling station for him. Behind his office was a huge windowless doorless building. One day he invited me to follow him in there. Turned out he was one of the major train collectors in the USA. I had never seen anything like this. There were steam engines you could ride on to the smallest of working locomotives. It was a privilege to view the many 100s of his treasures. He later built a larger building to hold the entire collection on display. I procrastinated too long in going to visit that one. No Pics.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom