1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Lizard ID, please

Discussion in 'Other Animals' started by cajun angel, May 30, 2011.

1. There's a pair of these on my patio every evening and I've learned the hard way not to have the flash pointed at them - they skedaddle! So, with bounced flash I managed this one. I kinda think it's an alligator lizard or a gecko?

5778299017_ea9163d04f_b.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2011
  2. That is a Gecko. Good pic as well.

3. cbbr

cbbr

Nov 21, 2009
    Baton Rouge, La.
    Yep. Nice shot too - my porch is covered with those little guys.

4. And yours is way cooler than the one that sells insurance.

5. Holmes

Holmes

Oct 28, 2006
    Wyoming, USA
    A Mediterranean house gecko, Hemidactylus turcicus.

Very cool lizards with excellent All Wheel Drive :) 

6. sambru

sambru In Memoriam 1957-2014

Hey now - I sell insurance - nice shot:smile:

7. Thanks y'all! I may just have to spend some time on the patio and try for more. It was fun watching them run for whatever food they were trying to catch and another funny thing about them, they appear to be nocturnal. I thought lizards were daytime critters. I'll try for more - at least they give a "different" subject appeal. I haven't asked if they have good rates on insurance yet. :wink::rolleyes: :biggrin:

8. cbbr

cbbr

Nov 21, 2009
    Baton Rouge, La.
    Leave a light on and they will stalk on the window (inside light) or near th light (outside) for bugs. They are very entertaining to watch through a window - my kids love them.

9. that's how we discovered them! My daughter saw them first, she had left the kitchen light on and of course the light attracts bugs. She came running into the bedroom to tell me about it, then promptly ran and told her younger brother. We all had a fun time watching them.
    Funny observation - lizards, I don't mind, but spiders and snakes, no way!

10. That's a great catch, Dianne. I love those critters!

11. thanks dossy! I got a big kick out of watching them - I hope to sit on the patio with the kitchen light on and just watch them do their thing. I know there's at least the 1 pair of them.

12. Coool stuff ibwish i had a those crawling here

13. Believe it or not, seeing all kinds of critters back home was far more easy than here - I hope they'll hang around for the whole summer. Other than birds, I seldom ever see anything else in my yard except my pooch, so I'm gonna enjoy these little guys as long as I can.

14. yup - one of many kinds of them

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.