LLD, BLD or Both?

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
If I where you Bill I would keep the D2H for another year, wait for the prices of used D2X's to come down and buy then make some money over the year and pay the D2H off.

200-400? You need 500mm with TC14EII and you know it! With a TC17E it will be way to slow for the kind of shooting you do, early morning birds...

andreasb said:
If I where you Bill I would keep the D2H for another year, wait for the prices of used D2X's to come down and buy then make some money over the year and pay the D2H off.

200-400? You need 500mm with TC14EII and you know it! With a TC17E it will be way to slow for the kind of shooting you do, early morning birds...
Andreas, this is a real possiblity, and who knows what we may see from Nikon the end of this year as well. And keeping my kit "as-is" is certainly not a bad thing to do at all.

As to your comment about the 200-400 with 1.7 being "too slow", are you referring to focus speed or aperture? If my calculations are correct, the aperture isn't that much different from the 500mm f4.5 + 1.4 TC to the 200-400 f4+1.7. The calculator I have shows that f4.5+1.4 yields f6.36 while the f4+1.7 yields 6.73. Some testing when I have the lens in hand should tell me more I think.

Thanks,

Just send it all to me and take up golfing, option 3. 8)

Wish I could tell ya buddy. I think Frank's idea is good. Email Mike Mac, he just got a 200-400 to add to the new D2x he bought a couple a weeks ago. He can give you insight on how the new gear works for him. But I'd keep that 500, unless ya wanna just send it over here, and I'll send you some nice 8x10's of osprey and sandhills. Wait, I dont need that big a lens for cranes as they pretty much walk right up to me, but I sure can use it for osprey.... :D

Backdoctor said:
Just send it all to me and take up golfing, option 3. 8)

Wish I could tell ya buddy. I think Frank's idea is good. Email Mike Mac, he just got a 200-400 to add to the new D2x he bought a couple a weeks ago. He can give you insight on how the new gear works for him. But I'd keep that 500, unless ya wanna just send it over here, and I'll send you some nice 8x10's of osprey and sandhills. Wait, I dont need that big a lens for cranes as they pretty much walk right up to me, but I sure can use it for osprey.... :D
Thanks for the offer, Harris, but I'll have to decline. I'm concerned about your health with a lens that large, might give you back problems hauling it around......

I've been in contact with Mike, and I am awaiting his return and experiences. My weekend with the 200-400 will answer a lot of questions for me.

Thanks,

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom