LLD-Figured out how to get Fisheye Lens

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by GeeJay, Sep 1, 2005.

1. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    I have been wanting the 10.5 fisheye lens but couldn't figure out how to talk myself into getting it until I came up with this LLD scheme. I am still laughing about this so must share.

My husband's birthday soon so I decided that I'd make him a book of pictures of our summer area in Michigan. Talked myself into knowing that he'd like to see slightly distorted pictures rather than ones I could take with all the other lenses I have... so got the lens and started shooting the pictures. I must work fast and furiously to get this LLD operation into action and completion.

I thought it was brilliant :biggrin: to think of this and certainly the best LLD idea I've ever come up with. Of course I'm ignoring the idea that he would have loved the money that I spent on the lens much more than the pictures.

Here are a couple of the pictures so far. The color is washed out on these web pictures because they are Adobe rather than sRGB. I have to print them on my printer and I think Adobe works better on the home printer--am I right about that??

I'm open to any ideas you might have in regard to how to use this lens and also how to print good pictures.

Thanks and my best to you,

Gaye

34216578-L.

34216570-L.

34216565-L.

34216568-L.

2. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Hmmm if I didn't know any better I would say your really a man trying to scam his wife with a purchase like that.. :biggrin:

Congratulations on the new toy.

3. Gaye it's amazing what the mind can conceive when confronted by LLD. Your plan is brilliant and is sure to be a hit with your hubby. You go girl. :wink:

4. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    You scheming, conniving, evil woman!

:biggrin: What a great idea! Cool shots too! Hey, everything's all distorted in them. Better take it back for a better example! :rolleyes: Now, don't forget to add a couple of yourself, you know, headshots, all up close and personal.

5. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    Where do you think she learned it from? She's been hanging around us guys too long. But I like her logic!!!

6. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Dave,
    Do you recognize Glen Lake? You may have been up here visiting the sand dunes and the national park because I see you're from Michigan.

7. very sneaky but I like it! great shots and i wish you a good and sfe trip to Florida.

8. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

I haven't been over by the dunes since I was a child.. I wanted to get up there this summer but it just didn't work out. :mad:

I think you are going to really love that lens.

9. Gaye;

Congratulations on both coups! (Getting the lens and creative justification). Somehow I don't think that'd fly at my house. I've been married for 21 years and would like to keep it that way. :smile: I had a fisheye many years ago and had lots of fun with it. Hope you enjoy yours.

10. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Thanks to you all for your cute and helpful comments.

My husband won't know anything about this lens deal but he may notice that our meals are meager for awhile. The other LLD thing I do is take lens money out of grocery money. No fat people in this house :biggrin:

This fisheye lens is much fun. I stood about two/three feet in front of this building and this is what I got. I was right up to it when I took this picture. I couldn't believe how it came out.

Best to you,
    Gaye

34352652-L.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2005
  11. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Wow, only 2-3 ft away? That's amazing, really. So, you gonna do some funky closeup headshots or anything goofy like that for your vacation album? So, I see it's a 72k file, how long did that take to upload on your dialup conn? Not to long, I hope.

12. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

That is a great photo, worth the purchase price of the lens. (Well that is if you can get the owner of the place to buy the picture from you for that amount of money! :biggrin:

13. It's a guy thing (up till now) but it's simple Gaye...repeat after me..."If some lenses are good, more are better!"

Got it?

Rich :wink:

14. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    I wrote that on my mirror with soap--that's a good one, Rich :biggrin:

You know it's my age that gives me LLD. I have to do it all very soon so I can still see through the viewfinder, hear the VR clicking and drive to the photo sites--

Steve, I'll try for some of those mug shots..will start with the doggies and then post that one for sure.

Dave, that's a good idea to sell that picture but I just found out that Carlson is trying to sell all of Fishtown and then it will be built up with condos etc. I guess I'd better take more pictures inorder to have good memories. I guess that's progress :frown: :mad:

15. That's a fun image Gaye. It's like lookin in the mirror at the fun house. Well done.

16. Gaye,

You crack me up! :biggrin: I am glad you are having fun with the fisheye. Now I will have to drag mine out! I spent the day at the Botanic Gardens and finally have a few images to post, mostly with the Beast. I will have to take the good old fisheye on my next adventure. :wink:

17. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Gordon,
    I have thought of that lens as my 'fun house' lens since I got it and from now on that will be its name. Thanks for reminding me. Also, I'm impressed with the good pictures it does take in addition to the close up, distorted ones. The lens has surprised me and I will use it often. It's particularly good for this location of pretty scenery up here in Michigan. It puts a new perspective on the area :smile:

Crystall,
    Be sure to post those 'Beast' pictures ...I look forward to seeing them. AND bet you'll enjoy your fisheye lens. It's a good one!

18. Gaye,

I received the fisheye for my birthday last year along with the SB800. My first outing with that lens was at the Horseshoe Curve in Altoona, PA. There is a park in the middle of the curve accessible by 200+ steps or the funicular (sp). I also captured an image of a train that was at least 1.5 miles long.

Horsehoe Curve Park showing steps and funicular.

[​IMG]

My son and the 1.5 mile long train (visible in the upper left and right corners)
    [​IMG]

Never use the fisheye on stairs...this one made me dizzy!
    [​IMG]