LLD...Need Opinions on the Nikon 70-180

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by sbuttrick, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Hey you 70-180 Macro owners I need you help. My local camera shop was bought out by another company and I stopped to meet the new owner today. They had transferred in some lenes from their other store and there on the self was a new 70-180 macro. They want $1200 for it. If you have this lens your opinions would be appreciated. I'm very tempted on this lens.

Thanks in advance.

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Scott,

Sounds a bit high. You can get it new from B&H for $1,099.

3. Thanks Frank, the price did seem high. Maybe I can get them to come down a bit.

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I find that a hundred dollar premium on an eleven-twelve hundred dollar purchase is not to high for the convienence of dealing with a local store. There will come a time when you need something RIGHT NOW and you'll drive over to the store, and it will be gone. Too bad it takes 2 or 3 days to get something from an internet shop. That said, if my dealer doesn't have something, it's off to New York's famous camera shops on the 'net. They are indeed cheaper, so if I'm gonna order and wait, why pay extra?

5. Your right Chris. Sometimes there is value in paying a little more to buy locally.

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Scott,

I hear what you are saying about buying local. :smile:

To answer your original question, I think Crystall has a 70-180, and I've shot with one that belongs to Muril (SilverEagle here). I ended up getting the Tamron 180 from Crystall, mostly because I didn't have the $$ for the 70-180 or the 200 f4, and she gave me a heck of a deal. I've been happy with it, but think that the quality of the 200 f4 is the best, and the 70-180 is right behind.

Hope that helps.

7. Scott,
    At the price you are considering you really ought to look at the 200mm micro too. I have found it to be an oustanding macro lens.

8. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Scott,

If you can see your way to a few more $$, then I wholeheartedly agree with Dave. I shot with both of these lenses (and several others), and I found the 200 f4 to be the best in terms of sharpness by quite a margin. I would have it except for the $$. :rolleyes:

9. nfoto

nfoto Guest

The 200/4 AF Micro is sharper and the 70-180 Micro is much more versatile, so which is the "best"? Matters like this are solved by getting both of them :biggrin:

10. hmmnn now theres a thought....:wink:

11. Thanks guys, but if you could only buy one which would be your choice?

12. 200mm f/4 micro

13. nfoto

nfoto Guest

70-180. Because of its tremendous versatility.

(A moot point for me because I already own the 70-180 and 200/4 AF and each and every one of all Micro-Nikkors, including the 5.5 cm f/3.5 from 1961 which went to 1:1).

14. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Well, I wish I could have them all like Bjorn, but I can't (I like being married :tongue:). If I could have just one, it would undoubtedly be the 200 f4. :smile:

15. nfoto

nfoto Guest

It all boils down to a personal choice, as with everything else. I'd say it's more important that you actually use the lens you got, rather than wasting time pondering the lens you didn't.

I also like being married, but not at any cost :biggrin:

16. debult

debult

Jun 11, 2005
    The Netherlands
    I really like my 70-180:
    + good hiking lens (weight)
    ++ no need for a focussing rail in the macro range (you use the zoom instead) !!!
    -- so-so performer at 180 and long distance
    + good performance with 5T diopter (gets you to 1:1 without light loss)
    - is effective approx 100 mm due to internal focussing at 180 mm setting and 1:2
    + the F-stop stays at a constant value even at close focussing distance f 4.5 is f 4.5 even at 1:2
    +/- tripod collar (flexes with a heavy body like D2h attached)

17. briantilley

briantilley Guest

I am very happy with my 70-180mm Micro. I bought it (second-hand) primarily for the extra flexibility in framing that comes with a zoom lens. To me, this outweighs the faster aperture and possible greater sharpness of a prime micro lens.

Since acquiring it, I find I'm using it as a general-purpose lens for walking around towns, as well as for pure close-up work. It's great for architectural details, with nice contrast an colour rendition.

18. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Yes, the poor tripod mount was the main reason I delayed my purchase of this lens for nearly 5 years :mad: Finally, I collected some stainless steel bolts and drilled holes for them through the foot. That measure in conjunction with a second screw for fixing a 5 mm thick dovetailed Arca plate beneath the lens did the trick, so the stability now is much improved even with the D2X attached.

I agree that the 70-180 isn't at its best towards infinity and the longer focal settings, so I reserve my sample for close-ups.

19. Bjorn:
    I'm not brave enough to take a power tool to one of my lenses.

Instead, I bought a $.23 basic cork (11/16 inch size) from my local hardware store and gently lodge that between my lens plate and the lens barrel to firm things up.

Although it's been suggested that I paint the cork black and write Nikon on it in white lettering, I'll probably stick with the hillbilly look until my images warrant the upgrade.

Glenn

20. Hi Scott,

I thought I would chime in...rather late, sorry. As Frank mentioned, I have the 70-180 (which I purchased used in mint condition). It is a fabulous lens, very versatile, yet I still plan to acquire the 200mm f/4 next year around bonus time. I also agree with Dave, one for sharpness, the other for flexibility.

The price is a tad high, but still not unreasonable for a new lens. I think I purchased mine from KEH earlier this year. They tend to under estimate the quality of their lenses. It was mint and I have no regrets. It produces gorgeous contrasty imagery. Good luck on your decision.