LLD Strikes !!!

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by JayR, Nov 1, 2005.

1. JayR

JayR

Jul 6, 2005
    Redmond, WA.
    I have been looking into wide zooms for my lens arsenal for a while and was quite confused with so many choices (Sigma 10-20, Tokina 12-24, Nikkor 12-24 etc..) I read through the Nikonians article and narrowed it down to either the Nikkor or the Tokina 12-24.

It was really tempting when I came across a mint Nikon 12-24 which was collecting dust in someone's bag and it was not much more than a new Tokina 12-24 (including shipping charges).

I couldn't resist and gave in to LLD. :biggrin: I should have it by tomorrow and hopefully will give it a good workout in Disneyland this weekend.

After using the Tamron 28-75 for a while, I have decided that I will stick with Nikkors. The Tamron is pretty sharp but while perusing through my images, I found that I prefer my 18-70DX images to the Tamron for some reason. I do not have any explanation for this but the Tamron images seem kinda flat in comparison. I still regret selling the 18-70DX.:frown:

Now that I have the Nikkor 50 1.8, 12-24 and the 70-200VR, I have already started thinking about the 28-70 2.8 AFS or the new 18-200 AFS VR. Does this ever end?:confused:

I am seriously contemplating getting the new 18-200 AFS VR lens. The MTF figures on Nikon's site look pretty promising and if it atleast as good as the 18-70DX, I will probably just get the 18-200 and be done with LLD (for a while:tongue: )

Regards,

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Jay,

I too sold my 18-70 (came with the D70), because I usually shoot much more telephoto. I soon regretted my decision, and bought another. The deal cost me about $35, but I don't regret it. I am also contemplating the 18-200VR. I'll wait until it has gotten into the hands of a few Cafe members to see how they like it, but if it is as good as it looks on paper, I'll probably get one.

You can buy my 18-70 then. :biggrin:

3. Yes I am interested in the 18-200 VR. If I get it I guess I will put up my 24-120VR for sale. The 18-200VR would be a great all-around lens and probably be on my camera a fair amount of the time. Or not, I like my "Beast" too!

4. Frank and Mark,

I want to get my hands on the 18-200 too. I think it will be a great all around lens but Mark I wouldn't sell the 12-120VR until you know how the 18-200 does. The 24-120 is a nice lens too.

5. Catz->No I probably won't sell it even though I say I will. I struggle with letting camera equipment go.

My goal->Get a D200 late next year and then D70s will be back-up camera and camera for my wife to use and keep 24-120VR on the D70s for her to use. Well, it is a goal anyway.

This 18-200 VR does look promising and I am curious how well the VR will work with this lens - and with the 2 different settings. Does Nikon already have existing lenses with the Second Generation VR that is supposed to be incorporated into this lens? Maybe the 70-200VR or others?

6. this is the first lens with VR-II, which offers 4 stops advantage instead of 3

7. Excellent! I cannot wait. Thanks.

8. Mark, it would be hard for me to give up my lenses as well. I have too much LLD going against me. I need to find another hobby that is cheaper...lol...

9. JayR

JayR

Jul 6, 2005
    Redmond, WA.
    I just got back from a trip to Disneyland. From my experience switching between the 12-24 and 28-75, I think the 18-200 would be the perfect solution if it performs decently. VR would have also helped a lot.

Frank - I too was thinking of picking up another 18-70 but decided to wait for the 18-200. The Nikon MTF charts seem to suggest comparable/better performance to the 18-70. I will just wait.:wink:

10. how are you liking the 12-24 so far? This has become a favorite lens of mine. sold my original (and I think it fell off the roof of the buyers car-yikes!) and turned around and bought another. Let's see, I paid 1150.00 for the first one, sold it for 750.00 turned around and paid 1200.00 for the second one. If I was not so fickle I would have money for another lens.

11. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Jay, I don't blame you a bit. :smile:

12. Yes, the 18-200 does look like....

a very interesting lens. The one thing that will be tough, even with VR, is low light action of course. I normally shoot with my 120-200 2.8 on my D2H and my 18-70 on my D70. I could certainly consider selling the 18-70 if the 18-200 pans out. Or I could keep the 120-300 on the D2H, put the 70-200 f2.8 VR on the D200 I just ordered, put the 18-200 on the D70 and really be covered, or I could buy 2 or 3 D200's, sell the D70 and the D2H and be really balanced with the same combo........oh-oh, I think I am in SERIOUS difficulty now.......:eek: :eek: :tongue: :cool:

13. I hope the 18-200 is a good lens. Yesterday, I carried around 4 lenses with me on a 5.5 mile hike. I only used 2 lenses, the 12-24 and 28-70. The 18-200 would have been very nice and I could have packed a whole lighter.

14. JayR

JayR

Jul 6, 2005
    Redmond, WA.
    NAS at its best. I had to read it twice to figure out all the options and I still am not sure I get them. You need help.:biggrin:

15. JayR

JayR

Jul 6, 2005
    Redmond, WA.
    Precisely the reason I am interested in the 18-200. For vacation photography purposes, it is probably the only lens I would need. Ofcourse, it might not perform well in low light situations BUT living in the PNW we always go to places where we have a chance to see the sun.:smile:

16. WOw Mark, over 5 miles with all of those lenses is incredible weight. I couldn't carry that much. I guess I'm just a weak female.:smile:

17. You are quite correct, and every time I look, I find at least 3 other possibilities. I sure wish that Nikon would just go back to sleep and not release anything for a year or 12. That way we could all just sit around, complain, stew and never have to be faced with actually making a decision.......:wink:

The reality is, I am happily on the list for a D200. If the AF turns out to be closer to the D2H than the D70, I just might find myself with a pair of D200's. I am pretty sure that the D70 will go "on the block" once the D200 arrives, if nothing else that will make the control set much more in tune with my D2H.

I sure would like the 18-200 to be f2.8 though, or 1.8, or 1.4, or 1.0......ah.....dream-on.........

18. Hi Bill,

It would be nice that the lense was 1.4 but then again, it would be a lot more expensive. This way it is affordable.

19. No, no, NO, this IS Lens Lust after all. I am still waiting for that 1-1000mm f1.0 that Nikon promised me last year, I'm SURE i read that from somebody's cousin's favorite uncle's 3rd removed from the friend of your gardeners neighbor. I have also heard, from the same source, that this lens will weigh no more than 13 ounces and only cost 999.99, USD if I remember correctly.

Or, of course, this could be nothing but a pipe dream......:wink: or just the ravings of someone who needs more sleep..........

20. JayR

JayR

Jul 6, 2005
    Redmond, WA.
    Wake up Bill....

You must be pretty excited about the D200. I am waiting to see user reports. I am particularly interested in the new MultiCam1000 AF module. If it is closer to the D70 than the D2 series, I will probably pass on the D200 and start saving for a D2X.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.