Local car show pictures

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by vulturetec, Nov 27, 2005.

1. We had our 48th annual car show held every Thanksgiving-weekend today. Still tinkering with some pictures but got a few decent ones. I put a full gallery of snapshots online but these are some favorites:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(some of the car owners dressed in "period" outfits)
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2005
  2. Great colors in that third shot!

3. all I get are red X :^(

4. Let me know if you're still getting red-Xs, it seems to be working ok now for me.

5. no, now I am getting the images and it was well worth the re visit. these are well done!

6. You make that D70 shine! Nice.

7. Gee thanks :biggrin:

To be honest I'm not very comfortable with the SB800/D70 combo, but it might be because I'm used to shooting everything manual with an older "manual" flash. I'm still learning what contrast range I can get away with, so I still get apprehensive about the exposures. Using TTL-BL I feel as if the flash is really going overboard rather than just giving me a nice "fill".

I think the problem is obvious though: dealing with a wide range of car colors the camera just doesn't know what needs fill and what doesn't... I go from a white car that it thinks is "bright" and needs little or no fill, to a large black car that it thinks is all shadow and adds too much. Running full manual I knew I was getting a good average ambient exposure and a calculated amount of additional fill.

Just thinking out loud.

The two people walking by was a typical "automatic" snapshot though; I quickly switched to program with the flash still at -2/3 and popped off a frame. Can't complain about that.

This was a hard one, especially with the light dead on the nose of the car most of the day:

[​IMG]