local footy

the local rugby league season kicked off on Saturday night, so i headed down to get some snaps for teh paper i work for.

like many regional council owned sports fields, our local showgrounds' lighting isn't exactly state-of-the-art, so the lighting could best be described as 'dim' and 'uneven'.

this was a chance to really put my new D3s and 200/2 through their paces.

these are all crops from the frame, but for a newspaper's requirements, they're fine.

in fact, they're far better than anything i've been able to get at the showgrounds under lights before.

ISO 12,800 got me up to 1/1000s @ f2.0 in some sections of the ground (the light is in puddles) and ~1/640s in others.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

the high-iso capabilities on this camera simply blow me away. paired with fast glass it makes what was previously nigh-on impossible, possible.

That would be nice (ISO 12800 that is). Our local park I can get ISO3200, f2.8 and 1/500s, but not behind the 22's as the light stands are opposite the 22m line. SO I just wander between the 2 22s! So can't get any try scoring except from behind :(

I was going to wait for the D400 before swapping to Nikon, as I'm sure its sensitivity will be better than the 300, but I'm happily impressed with the 300's ISO3200, not bad.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom