Local Papers New Policy For Sideline Photogs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought a few of you might appreciate what our local newspaper is doing to appease everyone for sideline sports photography.

http://blog.pe.com/2013/08/22/hsgt-calling-all-inland-football-photographers/

Sounds like a great deal to me. This way everyone wins. The paper gets many good shots from different perspective instead of the same old boring shots from the pros that feel a sense of entitlement. The pros benifit as it gives them a chance to work on not becoming stagnent. Plus, it gives aspiring photographers a chance they never would have had before as the doors of opportunity have always intentionally been closed to them. Great news!!!!

Real Name
Mike
It's funny they use a photograph of someone with a few thousand dollars worth of camera gear, and the going rate for the use of the photo is 2.50 to 10.00.
The $2.50 per published picture is what I was paid in the early '70s by the local newspaper for shooting high school games.

The $2.50 per published picture is what I was paid in the early '70s by the local newspaper for shooting high school games.

Lets' see, at $25 per hour, usually take about 50 photos that's only 50 cents a photo ... time to ask for a raise :biggrin:

Sounds like a great deal to me. This way everyone wins. The paper gets many good shots from different perspective instead of the same old boring shots from the pros that feel a sense of entitlement. The pros benifit as it gives them a chance to work on not becoming stagnent. Plus, it gives aspiring photographers a chance they never would have had before as the doors of opportunity have always intentionally been closed to them. Great news!!!!

Perhaps you missed this part:
"It’s important to note that The Press-Enterprise does not decide who gets sideline access at high school football games. That’s up to each school or the CIF."

The Media Outlet, the Paper, is not getting you a credential, just providing you an outlet if you can gain access to a game that their professional photographers are not covering.

The toughest part is getting the credential, the sideline access, and that is not what this is about.

Real Name
Walter Rowe
Just another local newspaper wanting to get pictures on the cheap. Instead of assigning more professionals to cover more games, they crowd source at $2.50 to $10 per image. No published image = no pay at all.

I'm sure most "mom & pop" owners will be happy with just having their photos used in the paper, let alone getting paid for them.

The real question is how many "mom & pop" APS-C DSLR owners will take up the offer :confused:

What's wrong with that? Aren't they worthy of a "pro's" standards? I hope they do and get a passion for photography and possible become a working pro that never loses their passion. All of us started and learned somewhere. They will learn the less optimal side of photography quick enough on their own. Sometime this is what it takes to get the old out to make room for the new. And frankly, I don't see why them having an "APS-C DSLR" has to do with anything? Are they not worthy? If they are using a P&S or iPhone I don't care about the gear, just want a decent photo. But reading comments like this it is no wonder the elitists are always on edge worrying about when they are going to knocked down a rung or two.

But reading comments like this it is no wonder the elitists are always on edge worrying about when they are going to knocked down a rung or two.
Elitists..:m69:
Would that be the person who has overhead and is trying to make a living..instead of working all day for free?
I ran out of free a long time ago
Gary

I am waiting for a newspaper to start asking these 'photographers' to pay a fee to have their photo printed in the newspaper. That way, they can finagle their way onto the sidelines, get in the way of EVERYONE working and then they can be PUBLISHED. Just don't mention that they pay the paper to print their image in front of a real photographer you might not be able to predict the reaction. Laugh or cry? I don't know.

What doors of opportunity are you referring too? Papers are cutting back on staff because they have found a willing pool of photographers that will do this for next to nothing. Why would papers carry a staff when they can have cheap labor?

What's wrong with that? Aren't they worthy of a "pro's" standards? ... But reading comments like this it is no wonder the elitists are always on edge worrying about when they are going to knocked down a rung or two.

Nothing wrong with that as long as "they" are subject to the same standards and rules that "we" have to follow. Be it credentials, insurance, deadlines, editors. If the idea is that they learn, they need to learn it all, right?

I don't think that there is any issue with anyone being "knocked down a rung", although I do find comments such as this to be quite demeaning to people earning a living.

The paper gets many good shots from different perspective instead of the same old boring shots from the pros that feel a sense of entitlement.

You really have a chip on your shoulder when it comes to professional photographers don't you now? Why so bitter? :confused:

I'm sure you could get your point along much better without those unnecessary attacks tainting your arguments with such blatant bitterness. :frown:

What doors of opportunity are you referring too? Papers are cutting back on staff because they have found a willing pool of photographers that will do this for next to nothing. Why would papers carry a staff when they can have cheap labor?

Why should they? Would you hire two more photographers to do shoots that you and your partner have normally cover? Why would you pay four photographer's salary when you can and have done the same job with two?

Here's a good one and an awakening I had last week. I went to the ATM to make an off-hours deposit of the checks I got for the week. I put my card in like I normally do and notice things have changed since the previous week. No more envelope deposits. OK, no problem I thought. Well, instead of doing one transaction for the total deposit I now have to feed the machine one check at a time. If that isn't bad enough I get prompted between each step. I'm asked "Do I want a receipt with the check image" followed by "Please select which account" you want the deposit to go into. Of course there are a couple more menu layers before I can go onto the next check. Oh, and I just can't hit the selection to go onto the next check. without re-entering my PIN number each time. I forgot to add that I was also asked to confirm if the amount is correct for each transaction before moving on. You get the idea, a transaction that normally took less than two minutes now takes more than five. Plus I had to print off four separate receipts for each check deposit. I felt bad for the people standing in line behind me.:mad:

Now you will ask what does an ATM deposit have to do with this topic. Everything. It is cost cutting measures by the bank to shift the workload to the customer. They now can cut staff that would normally open the envelopes and then verify and scan the checks for electronic processing. Now this had me thinking about what we've been discussing here. Is this person now out of a job or is the bank using their resources elsewhere? And on the same parallel, I've been using ATMs since the 80s and the common complaint from bank staff was they were all going to loose their jobs from being replaced by ATMs. I don't think it happened that way. And I'm sure a portion of personal have been repurposed or displaced by technology to streamline operations and cut costs. This is the same with photography.

But realistically, as you have told me many times my opinion doesn't matter. I guess you will figure it out by yourself one day.

Nothing wrong with that as long as "they" are subject to the same standards and rules that "we" have to follow. Be it credentials, insurance, deadlines, editors. If the idea is that they learn, they need to learn it all, right?

Absolutely! I agree with you and have never said otherwise in any of my conversations on this topic. If you feel I have done otherwise please point it out to me by quoting the post.

I don't think that there is any issue with anyone being "knocked down a rung", although I do find comments such as this to be quite demeaning to people earning a living.

I don't think anyone has a problem with pros "earning a living" it is when one has to listen to the same old whines about how they are being put down by the ever changing landscape of this, or any other, profession. To put it coldly, adapt or die. And really, I wish everyone success and a prosperous future in their business endeavors. I'm not the enemy here. The only enemy here is technology and the people not adapting to changing technology.

Kingfisher, what is your problem with pro photographers yes we all have to learn but we also paid our dues and put in the time to learn our trade. Let it go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Top Bottom