1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Local Photo Shop Service

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mike126, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Mike126

Mike126

Aug 14, 2008
    Herndon, Va
    This weekend I was out at one of the local camera shops in my area. I've been looking at purchasing a Sigma 70-200 2.8 HSM II. This particular shop is somewhat new to me (I'm not a regular customer) but a few weeks ago I did buy a D80 body from them.

So I asked the salesman (same guy that sold me the D80) if they have any lenses in stock. After searching their computer the only one they had in was the older HSM I. The kicker was since this was their last lens they could not take it out of the box! :confused: 

I found that rather odd. Given they wanted about $780 for the lens (I thought was overpriced given it is an older model) I would have thought they would have wanted to show it to me.

I didn't find this to be very customer service oriented so I guess I'll probably not be shopping there anymore.....

Maybe I'm just too picky????

2. DanWhite

DanWhite

Jul 10, 2005
    Lansdale PA
    I don't think you are to picky. I personally would have wanted look it over also. I had this happen one time, at a local shop (Now out of business). Told them if they want my money then I need to see the lens, they did not take it out of the box and I walked out.

Dan

3. jaymc

jaymc Guest

I could only guess that they are tired of customers handling their lenses then leaving to go buy it online. Just a sign of our times.

:frown:

4. I think you've hit the nail on the head here. A year or so ago a friend who works in one of our large photo stores that has several shops around the area told me that their policy now is to be pretty selective about opening boxes of new merchandise for precisely the reason you mention. If I were to walk in there and ask to see a particular lens they know me well enough to realize that there is a 99.9% chance that I'll be buying that lens and taking it home with me. I'm a long-standing customer there. However, they've been burned too often by strangers coming in and asking to see a lens, the sales associate spending a fair amount of time talking with the prospective customer -- only to have the person say, "I'll think about it, thanks!" and walk out. The store personnel know darned well that the individual will go right home and order that same lens from B&H or some other online place in order to save money. Nothing wrong with saving money but this kind of thing is a practice which is becoming more and more prevalent and subsequently hurting the local brick-and-mortar stores in many communities.

5. Mike126

Mike126

Aug 14, 2008
    Herndon, Va
    I would not disagree with you guys about the online purchase issue. However, the funny thing is they sell their stock at online prices. When I purchased my D80 body from them they were more than willing to show me the bodies and lenses.

All in all it tells me that if you are not going to give the consumer the benefit of the doubt then it's not a shop where I'd want to spend my money. That's just my own personal belief.

I was at another shop a week ago looking at the Tamaron 70-200 and told them up front that I was still only looking so as not to set the wrong expectation. They were more than happy to open the box and mount the lens on a camera.

6. If the same clerk sold you the 80, and then would not show you the lens, I would say he showed very poor judgment. If you had been a cold customer, I MIGHT be able to understand, but still who wants to buy sight unseen. I support a lot of brick and mortar, mom and pop stores, I just do it on line, since there is nothing nearby but a stripped down Ritz. B&H is not the only resource.

7. wgilles

wgilles

Apr 25, 2008
    NJ
    Depends on the shop. My camera shop will let me try ANYTHING I want. He even lent me a D700 for a couple minutes to snap some pics.

8. Just for a difference, the local camera store here had a staff member receive an award for outstanding service from the local business association - mentioned with picture in the local paper too!!
    Maybe you could come and shop here??!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

9. Mike126

Mike126

Aug 14, 2008
    Herndon, Va
    I like to support the local shops for my hobbies (photography and woodworking). It seems both of these hobbies can be easily swayed to online purchases. I do value being able to see and touch before I buy as well as having good advice from the sales clerk.

Kiwi - I'd love to shop down under! It's just hard to get to from here! :) 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.