Local Pro Baseball

Sorry I haven't posted in a while - things have been busy at home and at work.

Took the family to Yogi Berra Stadium last night for some Jackals baseball. Can't beat the value - $9 a seat including a fireworks show. Here are a few shots under the lights. All taken with the 20D & 300L f4 IS at f4. Had to push the ISO to 3200 to get 1/500 shutter. Only processing is Fred Miranda's Custom Sharpen Pro and a small dose of Noise Ninja.

PS - I shot under similar circumstances last September with my D2H and 8 fps. I've learned that 8 fps is great but not necessary (for those of you with D70's considering shooting sports). Improved skill and timing actually allowed me to catch better shots (ball just leaving the hand) with only 5 fps and a small buffer than I did with 8 fps and a 40 frame buffer. All shots above were part of 2-4 shot bursts (no machine gunning). Sure I'd LIKE to have more but good shots can be made with less so go out and shoot sports with whatever you have - no need to wait for a "real" sports camera. :D

_MG_2625w.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

_MG_2616w.jpg

_MG_2703w.jpg

_MG_2668w.jpg

_MG_2645w.jpg

Thanks for looking, comments always welcome.

Joe

Joe those are great shots (how many rows back were you in the stands?

Very clean for iso 3200, envious of canon for that

twig said:
Joe those are great shots (how many rows back were you in the stands?

Very clean for iso 3200, envious of canon for that

Thanks twig. We were in the 10th row which in that stadium is like front row in a Major League stadium.

I was frankly shocked by the ISO 3200 performance. It essentially allows the same shutter performance as a 300 2.8 at ISO 800.

J

JMartin

D20

Joe,

Nice captures. The low noise at that ISO is impressive indeed.

I take it you really like your D20? Do you have any issues with it that would make you reconsider buying it if you were to do it all over again?

I ask because I have two friends/coworkers looking to make the move to digital now and they are both considering the D20.

Thanks,
Joe

Re: D20

JMartin said:
Joe,

Nice captures. The low noise at that ISO is impressive indeed.

I take it you really like your D20? Do you have any issues with it that would make you reconsider buying it if you were to do it all over again?

I ask because I have two friends/coworkers looking to make the move to digital now and they are both considering the D20.

Thanks,
Joe

Hi Joe,

Coming off a wonderful camera like the D2H I expected the 20D would disappoint in some area. So far it has not. It has exceeded my expectations for speed (shutter response) and handling (ergonomics - my greatest concern). The AF is surprisingly fast and accurate given the price point. The battery has remarkable life. I'm averaging over 1000 shots per charge (the battery won't die - it just stays at one bar until I finally decide to recharge). Canon makes some fine lenses - the 135L f2 is particularly stellar. Overall it's a pro camera in an easy to carry shell. :) I can recommend it without reservation.

Regards,

Joe

Good tming Joe

I somehow doubt I would'a been able to catch that action with only 2-3 shot bursts.

Latest threads

Top Bottom