1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Local Soap Box Derby

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by NewBert, Sep 13, 2008.

1. I spent this afternoon at the local Soap Box Derby. Today was Day 1. (It concludes tomorrow.) It seemed like a very friendly yet competitive environment, which was nice to see.

1. How do they see where they're going?

2. OK - so we're supposed to focus on the eyes, right? Thanks to the kids in these next three images for watching where they were going! :biggrin:
    View attachment 252854

View attachment 252855

View attachment 252856

5. Since speeds weren't too high, this was a good opportunity to practice my (woefully poor) panning technique....
    View attachment 252857

The course looked to be about 1/4 mile long, and in most races, the margin of victory was only a few hundredths of a second (or even less)! I would have loved to get some crowd shots, but there really wasn't much of a crowd. That's too bad, as it's obvious that these kids put a lot of time and effort into building and perfecting their racers.

All images were taken with my recently serviced 70-300VR lens. Any Comments/criticisms welcomed.

2. how awesome...
    i've never seen one of these competitions in person
    maybe that's because there are NO HILLS within 50 miles of my home :redface: .... :biggrin:

nice shooting
    thanks for sharing

3. Thanks, Greg.

FYI -- This really wasn't much of a hill. I'm located less than 8 miles outside the Adirondack Park, where there are plenty of hills. Yet, when I learned of the location for the derby, I thought "There's a hill there?". Maybe they graduate to the big hill if/when they reach the Nationals in Akron.

4. Local, looks as though there is a MA team there. Anyways love the shots, very interesting that they only have their eyes viewable.

5. It was local in the sense that it was just 2 miles down the road from here. The local paper said that approximately 40 rooms had been booked in one of the local hotels for the event, so it's true that many racers came in from surrounding states.

Glad you like the shots.

6. wow, didn't realize they still did this (full scale), I know they do the model version. Nice shots...

7. MRIMATT63

MRIMATT63

Jan 27, 2008
    Allen, TX
    Great shots ! This looks like a fun time. To be a kid again.

Matt.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.