Location shoot, point-of-sale (in-store)

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by PeterRH, Jun 21, 2007.

1. PeterRH

PeterRH Guest

Sorry for the last minute request, I've only just been given this assignment and it is tomorrow (Friday afternoon UK time).

I'm shooting life-size POS cardboard cut-outs of the F1 driver, Lewis Hamilton (and some brochure dispensers). They are in-situ so there will be customers around.

I've done plenty of location stuff before now but if anyone has done this kind of thing, specifically POS material which is glossy and has potentially horrendous glare problems, and has any useful snippets of experience that'd be great.

My thinking is that since there will be no possibility to set up a lot of equipment (for fear of tripping up and injuring a customer!) I'll be aiming to use flash-guns bounced off the ceilings/walls to create as even and diffuse a light as possible.

There will be a fair bit of ambient light but I'm pretty sure flash will be needed to add the 'punch' required.

Any thoughts gratefully received. I'll hopefully be able to post at least one of the results of the shoot.

PS Should just have added I'm planning to use 3 x SB800's (two tied together into an external batt pack) and an SU800 for remote triggering.

2. Ray C.

Ray C.

Nov 7, 2005
    Thailand
    Peter, I think you'll be okay if you place two SB's with bounce card at approx 60ยบ angle to the cutout. Shoot a couple of test shots and adjust flashes accordingly if you get any reflections. If you have SuperClamps, you can mount the flashes to just about anything and they'll be out of the way of the customers. If not, duct tape and the SB-800 stand will work in a pinch. :wink:

A high camera angle and long (few seconds) exposure, where the cutouts will be frozen and the customers motion blurred around it may make an interesting photo. Set to rear sync, balance for the ambient...and away you go! Good luck!

3. Just be sure to get your flash off camera so that you don't have any reflection from the cardboard cut out. Also, use your aperature to control DOF to give you what you want. Meter the background and set it at -1 (camera in manual) and with your flash(s) in TTL let them punch up the cutout. Good luck, you will do fine.

4. PeterRH

PeterRH Guest

Thanks for the advice guys, and so quickly too!.....very helpful.

The agency doesn't mind customers (more real world) but does not want them to distract from the purpose of the shot, so blurring movement is spot-on Ray. I think I'll try an ND filter to cut down the ambient light so I can experiment with this.

I've got a lightweight stand to hold the two main flashes, so as long as I don't kill a customer with it all will be well.

Thanks for the exposure and lighting placement advice Gordon, that'll help focus the attention on the POS.

It'll be a very boring shot to put up here but I'll post one anyway (probably early next week).

Thanks again.

5. PeterRH

PeterRH Guest

Update

Ok did the shoot of various bits of point-of-sale in the two hours allowed....frantic activity at various positions around the bank branch, and gloss finish pos and plastics, made it horrendously difficult lighting wise.

All approved though so it was worth it.

I can show you one example pre-retouching by the agency. Very boring image but thought it might interest you to see a result.

[​IMG]

6. marksayer

marksayer Guest

Shame you weren't there to get him "binning" that expensive go-kart!!! :)

7. PeterRH

PeterRH Guest

"Shame you weren't there to get him "binning" that expensive go-kart!!! :)"

Yup that would have been fun....I imagine he would have looked a bit more like this portrait I was lucky enough to get of him recently, than his normal smiley self.

[​IMG]

8. Ray C.

Ray C.

Nov 7, 2005
    Thailand
    Yeah Pete, definitely not the most exciting photograph, but I think you did well considering the subject matter. Perhaps a tighter crop and maybe one or two more blurred people....Even better would be one stationary person reading the advert, with blurred folks walking past.

9. PeterRH

PeterRH Guest

Thanks for taking the time to comment Ray.

Space and time (not enough of either to work with) made this shoot overly complicated. As it happens I did a shot of one person - slightly less blurred - walking toward the camera but 'noticing' the POS. The agency is going to use that one too.

One of the little disasters along the way.....as I arrived one of the staff was preparing to bin all of the POS and had taken down various pieces! The offer was coming to an end that day and an enthusiastic member of staff thought he'd start the job of dismantling prior to my arrival......

Used up a third of my time getting things looking remotely reasonable again....such are our challenges.

Thanks for the help in thinking this through.