Locking it up

While on the trail for a Cassin's Sparrow...here in Ohio...go figure.:biggrin: But while looking for that, I took a detour and stopped to see some of the old locks from the Miami-Erie Canal.

The canal ran from Toodledoo (Toledo) all the way to Cincinnati. There are lots of areas that still have water in them, and are visible from Google. Feeder lakes also dot the Ohio landscape. Cincy has some sort of tour boat that runs up the old canal. Lockington was the highest point between the two cities, and needed six locks to traverse the landscape. Five are part of a historic trail.

Lots of good fodder for a shutter happy tourist.:-D If I had brought my tripod with me, I imagine I would have gotten better angles and such, but I had to do these handheld. All are HDR blended images, but not over the top...I hate over the top.:biggrin:

Enjoy, and CC welcome.

The view from Lock 4...there isn't any lens distortion :biggrin::

Mouth of Lock 5:

Lock 2's waterfall:

Down the Barrel of Lock 1. They braced this one and Lock 4 so that it wouldn't collapse.

Lock 1 again:

Stud used to hold the lock gates or guides which have been removed.:

Rob Zijlstra

A Koffie Drinker
Very nice set!
This is the way HDR should be done (at least in my eyes): if you didn't know it, you wouldn't guess it!

You have posted an outstanding set of pics! Yes, this is the way HDR should be done.

Steve, these are all very nice but number two really grabs my attention. You did a super job on that photo. That place might be worth another visit. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Dave, That one and the stud are my favorites. :biggrin:

Very nice set!
This is the way HDR should be done (at least in my eyes): if you didn't know it, you wouldn't guess it!

You have posted an outstanding set of pics! Yes, this is the way HDR should be done.

Thanks Rob, Eric. I think I am going back when it is a sunny day with blue skies, just for fun. It's not that far from work, so I could hit that and then go to work. That is the only thing that I didn't like about the whole day...high bright boring clouds.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom