Logo discussion

Discussion in 'Site Information, Help, and Feedback' started by Randy, Mar 16, 2017.

1. can we get our old logo back ?
    thanks

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. I agree with this one... :) Last night there were way more theme options - now there are only three....some had the old theme/logo...

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator Administrator

Feb 25, 2017
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Amin
    Probably not, but maybe we can do better than the current one.

4. Oh man, I do miss the old logo! Doesn't feel right!

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Sure glad I've got a hat and a patch!

• Like Like x 1
  6. That was a great logo

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. I've still got my T-shirts, hat and logo patch, they're collector items now.

• Like Like x 1
  8. crazy

crazy

Feb 5, 2009
    NC
    :eek:
    I had not noticed that the logo changed, and hope it can be changed back.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Well, that didn't take long! We're already losing our uniqueness and distinctiveness......now we look just like all your other photography forums!

Understandably, newcomers won't understand how important our logo was to us, but it really was. It's part of our history. We took pride in our logo and the flag, hats, t-shirts, badges that it was used on....... Sadly, the flag was lost in the mail somewhere when being sent from one member to another, never to be seen again. Members sewed the badges on their photography vests or jackets, or wore the hats and t-shirts with pride when going on shoots. One member (now sadly no long with us -- R.I.P., Rich!) carried cards with the site's logo and URL to hand out to Nikon users he met along the way when out on shoots in places like Conowingo, the Tidal Basin, etc. While I understand that a new owner and new administration wants to make changes and set their own fingerprints on a site, taking away a distinctive and meaningful logo and replacing it with some generic stuff just isn't going to cut the mustard for a lot of us.

Another thing I don't care much for and don't really see the need for, either, is the numbers tally thingy and the change from "New Posts" to "Unread" on the navigation bar. Statistics may be important to owners and admins but I think most general users are just fine looking at the threads and posts that they choose to and aren't concerned about the zillion other posts they haven't read. People have different ways of using forums; I for one never bother marking anything "read." I hit the "New Posts" button, cruise down the list of new posts and threads and look at what captures my interest. That's it. I don't, for instance hit the "Birds" subforum and look at every thread and post in there or just a few and then click that entire subforum as "read." I also, of course read posts in threads in which I've also participated and from time to time will start a new thread of my own and/or add images. Other members have their own style and approach, but I'll bet there are very few who are truly interested in knowing that there are still 3,878 posts left for them to read! I doubt that anyone reads everything in the entire forum.

The real name thing..... That's again something which has made the Cafe rather unique; early-on the atmosphere of warmth and friendliness was established here and it felt comfortable and safe to use one's real name when writing back-and-forth about various topics; one reason that it was safe was that the site was private and not open to search engines and such. People chose to include their name in their sig file or not, it was just something nice and added to the overall ambience here. There's really no need to add a special line for people to include their real name.......

I'm rather indifferent to the whole "like" thing.....but I did notice while looking at the options that there is no "dislike" button!

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  10. I vote to bring back the old logo, too. The new one is - what's the word I'm looking for? - ugly. The aforementioned "numbers tally thingy" can go away, too. I don't care how many unread messages there are and I doubt most others care, either.

I'd reorder the sub-forums to put the assignments and projects right after the Image galleries since the assignments and projects are about images.

I don't like the Home page but I don't find myself there often.

All that said, thank you for taking on this project.

Larry

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Amin Sabet

Feb 25, 2017
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Amin
    I'm starting to see it that way as well. We will definitely try to do better. Perhaps it can be done in a way that incorporates design elements of the old logo. But the old logo without any changes at all? I don't think that is optimal at all.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. The problem a lot of people have, and I completely get it, is that logo is part of a very long history here, one that a lot of people that use this site are proud of. We get that its your site and you have every right to change it as you see fit...but what keeps people coming back here regularly is the uniqueness of the community here, part of that, even tho it may seem minor, is the logo. If the site suddenly takes on the look, feel, and vibe of every other site, if it loses that uniqueness, people will just stop hanging around.

My .02 anyway....

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. crazy

crazy

Feb 5, 2009
    NC
    I'm not a Cafe old-old timer, but I do believe that the old logo should be retained as being representative of the Cafe's original intent.

• Like Like x 1
  14. I also prefer the original logo. It's part of the Cafe history.

15. If someone could send me a jpeg or gif of the old logo, I can remap it in Illustrator, clean it up and convert it to vector art so it becomes scalable. I'm a little busy though, so it will take me a couple days. Retain the old look, while being modern kind of like the Nikon Df! ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  16. Why?

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. I was about to comment that there are probably a lot of members with the skills to make the old logo work. :cool:

18. I live in a neighborhood where everything that's old is new again, so I think I can make it work! :p

19. Amin Sabet

Feb 25, 2017
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Amin
    While everyone in this thread seems to like the old logo, I've heard from several others (PM, email, mod forum discussion) who didn't like it very much. I don't love it either. However, I do understand this site has a long history and that there is a desire to preserve it.

I will see what I can come up with and post some options to the membership for review. But it won't strictly be a vote because people tend to develop a preference for things which are familiar (mere-exposure effect). I have seen many examples of changes in forums which were seen as negative and much later viewed in completely the opposite way.

20. Amin,

Another vote for the old Logo!

I think that the best logo on your other sites is FujiX

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1