LOL... AIS 35/1.4 $959 at KEH

I remember seeing these lenses at $400 (LN) about a year ago. At least this hike isn't Nikon's fault.

I think we need to stop with the excessive price threads...this place might implode soon

I bought mine in the mid-1990s from B&H, can't remember the price, probably around $400. These types of lenses are appreciating!! :)))

Worth every penny.:tongue:. Like I said in my 35 1.4 AIS post, the Nikkor AIS
are being gobbled by the Canon 5D mark 2 owners. And since the 35 1.4 AIS is a fast wide angle prime that allows the user to control exposer it is very sought after. It's nice to see the Nikkor AIS glass price reflect there true greatness:tongue:

Why would they when the have the equivalent (and much more recent AF version) in Canon mount ?
They need the aperture control right on the lens, that's why. The Canon lenses do not have this.

I sold 3 AIS lenses to a Canon guy who shoots video with his Canon DSLR back in January. He said that people in his industry are indeed gobbling up Nikkor AIS lenses because of their aperture ring. He's a pro who shoots video ads. They are also in search for the quality Nikon to Canon lens adapters. What he's got then, he had shipped from China, via ebay, but he says, they're always looking for better ones.

And they are aware of which Nikkor AIS lenses are "legendary". He bought from me my second copies of 50/1.4 AIS, 105/2.5 AIS and 75-150/3.5 Series E. At that time, he was also looking for 85/2 AIS (read: willing to pay top dollar), but I said I only had one copy of 85/2 and I'm not selling it. Last I heard from him, he bought a beat-up 85/1.4 AIS.

So you're saying Canon users are part of the reason used Nikkors are getting harder to find and more expensive to buy?

[Holds head to try to keep it from exploding].

So you're saying Canon users are part of the reason used Nikkors are getting harder to find and more expensive to buy?

[Holds head to try to keep it from exploding].
I don't know about that. I believe the FX sensor is a bigger factor. I think the Canon users who buy AIS lenses are a small market compared to the Nikon FX buyers. However they do exist, and if they happen to exist in your own backyard, then they add another layer of your own "competition" for these lenses.

Julien: In a nut shell Canon designed the 5D mark 2 to have extremely limited manual control in Video mode with it's own glass. I know it seems unbelievable but there is a significant advantage on using the Nikkor AIS primes in this regard. Check out the Cineama5D.com for pages and pages of bitching and moaning about the how Canon crippled the 5d mark 2 .
I refuse to get into it further than that , here or anywhere else for that matter.
I personally love my Canon 5D mark 2 and the Canon 50 1.0 AF lens , and the one and only canon lens I own. The one and only autofocus for that matter.
And what I can tell you is it is a joy to use Nikkor AIS on the Canon 5d mark 2 platform. Every single one of them from 8mm 2.8--800 5.6 work like a charm.

Even if they don't have an aperture ring what's the big deal ?
Okay, I'm not a Canon user, so bear with me. I was also skeptical when the guy who bought my lenses told me about it, having never heard of such a thing.

From what he explained, the aperture ring on Nikkors allows the Canon video shooter "full" manual control on exposure, i.e. they can underexpose or overexpose their videos to their heart's content. Either they do not get this feature using Canon lenses, or it's a pain in the butt to set it up.

You should google this up. They talk about this on the Canon forums. We have competition from the dark side! :smile:

edit: "Nikkor AIS" beat me to it. I type slow... :wink:

Latest threads

Top Bottom