London Street Life: 1876

Nice find. I have lived and worked in London for nearly 25 years although I am from Cornwall originally which is hundreds of miles away, both literally and culturally. But we did have a lot of family in London at about this time, on my dad's side. My great, great grandfather was a policeman in London in the 1870's so it's very interesting to see these, thank you.

What a fascinating site! There's one of a guy on a wagon. As a young boy in Chicago in the 1940's there was a man on a horse drawn wagon who would come down our street every once in a while who would pick up rags and old iron. He would call out as he rode by. I remember him as the 'rags-a-lion' man. What memories and images the photos generate. I spent an hour looking at the 1940's and 1950's images.

Check out the series on Edwardian fashion. There's a shot of a lady crossing the street reading a book..substitute an iPhone and it could be today. :smile:

Frits and Rob check out the street scenes from Holland!

Thanks for posting.

McQ

Just your average, everyday moderator.
Real Name
Glenn
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I love the Retronaut site. There are so many fascinating photos on it. The London photos are particularly interesting because they give life to something most of us can only imagine. We're so far removed from that time and place, it's very difficult to picture it in our minds.

I've always been keenly interested in all aspects of British history and life, and especially the time period from the early 1800s to the post-WWII era. That span saw the most significant changes in history for the British Empire and the world.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom