Long distance phone service

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pa, Aug 8, 2007.

1. We're shopping for a new long-distance phone service provider.

PhoneDog.com recommends Pioneer in our area. Does anyone here have experience with PhoneDog, Pioneer, or Voice Revolution?

Thanks for looking.

2. No idea who either phonedog or pioneer are.

But I am a happy ECG customer. Have it set up to do electronic billing and charge directly to my credit card. Works great!

Only hiccup was when they were having flooding somewhere in the northern midwest. ECG had to close their customer service center for about four days. Of course, that four days happened to be the one time I've needed to call them. (Couldn't remember my login to their website, nor my security question. D'oh...)

I think I'd much rather take that rather than having my phone call booted off to India or wherever! Once they mopped up and re-opened, some nice midwesterner hooked me up in about two minutes.

3. Well I have no idea who ECG is. Do they have low rates?

4. I use a company called Opex. Phenominally low rates. I can call Europe, any time of the day, for $0.10/min, which comes out to a lowly $6/hr. (I have lots of friends in dogs in Holland and Germany).

My in-US rate, any time of day, is $0.04/min.

5. Thanks, Gretchen.

Pioneer is $0.027/min in-US, and we very, very, seldom call outside the U.S.

"I have lots of friends in dogs in Holland and Germany" :confused::confused:

6. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    If you have broadband, have you considered an IP service, like Vonage or Skype? I use the digital phone service from my provider (Bright House). No long distance fees in the US, Canada, or PR. It must be true, because I called the governor of PR when I first got the service just to see.

[note] The governor of PR wasn't home to accept my call at the time. Perhaps I should call back, just to be polite.

7. :rolleyes: No, I'm recommending them because they're expensive. Sheeesh, whaddya think!???

2.5 cents/minute in the US, intra-state rates vary by state. (3.1 in IL)

The funny thing is that I was intending to go all VOIP, but the rates just aren't there. Lots of people will give you all-you-can-eat for $30/month, but if you just don't use the phone that often they wind up being a bigger ripoff than normal long distance.

8. 8.9 in Virginia. Thanks for the recommendation.

9. I breed/train/compete with Rottweilers in various dog sports and believe that the best working bloodlines are certain German / Austrian lines. Therefore, I've flown over there several times to import puppies / arrange breedings and like to stay in touch with all my friends over there. :smile:

10. I have AT&T and pay $25/month for all the LD I want. It is a good deal for me because I have kids all over the USA.

11. We are dropping AT&T because of this minimum. Pioneer offers out of state LD at $0.027/min. At that rate, $25 => 15+ hours/month. There is no way we would use that much. In addition there are access fees, etc. with AT&T, but not with Pioneer.

I just wanted to see if anyone else has experience with Pioneer. They seem to be highly recommended, but I'm just naturally cautious and would like to hear of personal experiences.

12. mr2monster

mr2monster

Jun 29, 2007
    Arizona
    I use my cell phone. Most providers include free long distance now.

13. I have a cellular family plan with AT&T, no, wait, with Cingluar, no, no, NO, make that with The NEW AT&T:Smart:

They are without a doubt the most morally bankrupt and managerially incompetent company on the face of this planet. But let's not go there:Bomb:

14. Our very minimal cell phone requirements are well satisfied by a prepaid plan (T-mobile) which is about $0.10/min at its lowest.

I'm still looking for Pioneer users...

15. Jonathan P.

Jonathan P.

Jul 10, 2007
    Appalachia
    I need a long-distance provider, too. I just moved into a new house, and my cell phone (with free long-distance) stops working the moment you turn onto my street.

16. Check out Pioneer Telephone. I think I'm going to sign us up.