Long distance shot

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by veloman, Jul 13, 2008.

1. veloman

veloman

Aug 22, 2007
    ,UK
    DSC_3838.gif

I bought myself a Tokina 500mm f8 mirror lens(1986 Nikon fit model)) for £50 and tried it out on my village church at 2 Kilometers distance,with the minimum of tweaking,and slight cropping in the software supplied with the camera I'm suprised at the result.The sun catching it at the right time helped.

V

PS Thank God for the immediacy of digital cameras.

2. What village is it? Do you have any other Tokina lenses? I've always stuck with Nikkor but I've heard some very nice things about their newer wide angle lenses.

Bruce

3. veloman

veloman

Aug 22, 2007
    ,UK
    Hi Bruce,The village is Woodbury ,in East Devon UK.This Tokina was a one- off buy that happened to fit my Nikon D40X .I tend to buy up cheap manual lenses as the optical engineering on some of them are superb,also,I've learned more about the 'mechanics' of photography by going manual on a digital camera than I otherwise would have.I have no previous experience of Tokina but from my reading up on this lens they were,in the past,one of the top three.I know nothing of modern Tokina's.

V

4. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    Not bad for £50 eh?

Did you rotate the pic at all? It's just that there appears to be some black areas in the corners.

5. veloman

veloman

Aug 22, 2007
    ,UK
    Yes M.A complete oversight on my part before posting:redface:At the distance I took the photograph it was impossible to get the perpendicular of the Church,so I did some straightening without doing a crop'

V

PS Must try harder:smile:

6. ArtO

ArtO

Jun 14, 2008
    Florida
    Nice shot. That lens should be lots of fun. Good purchase.