1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Long, fast lens for nighttime Sports

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by McQ, Jul 12, 2007.

1. McQ

McQ Just your average, everyday moderator. Moderator

I am just teasing myself every time I look for a fast, long lens, like the 300mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR Nikkor, or the 400mm f/2.8D ED-IF AF-S II Nikkor lens.

Is it just not possible to get f/2.8 or better at 300mm or 400mm without throwing away my kids' college educations?

I need a lens for sports photography, often under stadium lighting conditions. I do soccer, Lacrosse, and swimming photgraphy. I'm currently using the 70-200mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor lens for that.

Yes, I know it's a great lens. I love it. Lots. But soccer fields are big and that 200mm just isn't reaching out quite as far as I need it to.

Thoughts from long lens users? Tips on where to buy. Tips on anything regarding this are appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Check out the 120-300 f2.8 Sigma. There's a long standing thread on it here

Rich

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  3. You might look for the version I of the 400 2.8; if found, they usually go for about $3500-4000 from what I've seen this year. Only difference is a little extra weight and the minimum focusing distance (which obviously isn't your problem here!)

Sean

4. McQ

Thanks for that info., guys! This will help. I missed that thread while searching the site for it.

5. I sure hate, on principle, to agree so vehemntly with Mr. Gibson :biggrin:, but darnit, he is right on the mark with the Sigma 120-300. Look around, used they can be had for less than 2k.

6. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY
    There are several other 300mm 2.8 Nikon options as well. You could check out the 300 2.8 AF (which does not have a motor built in to the lens)and 300 2.8 AF-I (which does have the internal motor).

They are both outstanding lenses with top notch optics. The AF speed is slower of course than an AFS... but great lenses nonetheless.

7. Thank you Bill. :wink: A caution though. Early this year they changed the lens along with the electronics. Prior to that Sigma had a spotty track record on the 120-300. Check out FredMiranda.com on this lens. The further back you go in time the more frequent are the quality comments.

B&H Photo sells two models; the newer one for $2689 (as I recall) and another without the DG monicker for around $2000. There's a reason for the difference so be carfeful. When I bought mine, the newer one, I got it from a Amazon affiliated seller for $2289. Lately this lower discounted price has been going up because of the demand. One member here has had to wait weeks to get the lens. From all this I would assume that the new version is a hit and they are being sold so fast that there is no need to discount much. Anyway, the MSRP is around $3200 and the B&H street price is $2689, the same as it is at our local dealer ACE Photo in northern VA. The discount on the older one has been as low as $1700-$1800. As they say, penny wise, pound foolish. If you go for the lowest 120-300 f2.8 you will likely wind up with the older one and possible problems.

If it were me I'd stick with the newer model and some sort of return guarantee in case it is the pre-DG model.

Thanks, Rich

8. After reading the original and lengthy thread, I've been thinking about this lens for myself. I'm starting to believe the zoom option would be more practical for my type of shooting (mostly sports). I've got the 300 AF, and I'm starting to believe that this lens might be as sharp wide open. It would also be beneficial to be able to change focal lengths as plays develop.

I'm just having trouble with the idea of selling the 300 right now.

9. McQ

This is great to get all of this input regarding these types of lenses. Thank you again for this info!

10. K.David

K.David

Jun 11, 2007
    ny
    Just picked this lens up got it from sigma4less $2289 no tax if shipped out of ny.
    kevin

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.