[Long!] Found brains! (Einstein tower - Science Park in Potsdam, Germany)

Discussion in 'Wanderlust and Travel' started by DanielD, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Hello, we had incredibly clear sunny weather here on Saturday, so I decided to go to Potsdam to take some pictures of the Einstein tower which I still had on my list..).

That tower is located here on a small hill within a science park of small, mostly geological or astronomical institues. Before I came to the Einstein tower, I came across this old telescope house which is obviously not used anymore:

[​IMG]

It is located right next to the Michelson house (1879) which was the first observatory building on this hill:
    [​IMG]

Today it is used for climate research (some big computers in the basement), and one dome is still used for sun observations.
    [​IMG]

In the south of that building you come to the big refractor (lens telescope) (1899), the fourth biggest one on earth, which is currently under reconstruction. It was used until 1968 and consists of two 12.5m long telescopes with 0.5m and 0.8m big front lenses.

[​IMG]

In the south of that you eventually come to the real destination of the trip, the Einstein tower:

[​IMG]

It was built 1924 to house a sun observatory, to prove Einstein's theory of relativity, which wasn't successful due to turbulences on the sun's surface. Instead, Europe's first sun telescope helped to explore those turbulences and their relationship to the earth's magnetifield, besides other phenomenons.

[​IMG]

This is a model of the building:
    [​IMG]
    (That guy with the orange shirt is me :smile:)

Did I mention it was marvelous weather?
    [​IMG]

Oh, and here's the promised brain I found... Don't ask..
    [​IMG]

D200 + 17-55 + CPL/Tamron 90.
    Thanks for looking. Whole gallery is here.

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Daniel these are excellent images:>)))

3. Thanks, Gale.

4. Daniel, these are

excellent images, as Gale has pointed out. And...the weather must have been fabulous, those deep blue skies and bright sun just make one feel alive.

This looks like a good site to visit, and I will surely have to see it should I get the chance to visit Germany again. The Einstein tower looks very contemporary (art deco ?) in its design, quite out of character with the other stately buildings you have presented. Thanks for including an image of the model of the building. It gives one a good idea of the inner workings. Did you have a chance to photograph the telescopes?

5. Thanks, yes the sky was incredible clear that day and the combination with the blooming trees was perhaps a non-recurring chance. Plain luck!

No, it was weekend and the buildings were closed. Note that the majority belongs to scientific institutes which still use them so they are not public in general. From what I read, maybe the big refractor may be once it will be reconstructed, but I'm not even sure about that.