Long Glass/Short Cash - will I be happy with a 600mm f/5.6n ED IF AIS?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by keirin, May 5, 2007.

1. keirin

keirin

Dec 31, 2005
    Title says it all:

Long Glass/Short Cash - will I be happy with a 600mm f/5.6n ED IF AIS?

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Depends what you want to shoot with it

3. keirin

keirin

Dec 31, 2005
    I will take pictures of the things at which I point it. What are the things it will do well, and what will be its more frustrating limitations?

4. I guess the question was if you wanna shot something moving or still? :redface:

If you specify your question the answers might be more to your liking? :Crunk:

5. keirin

keirin

Dec 31, 2005
    Since it's manual focus, I thought it pretty obvious (read: not worth mentioning) that it wouldn't be many folks' first choice for peregrines-in-flight shots, but its use would be across various situations that call for long reach. I often see boiders and other wildlife shooters comment about how often they employ manual focussing (even with AF lenses), so I am curious about how severe a limitation the subject lens would represent for subjects that aren't moving quickly through a viewfinder.

Let's make it simpler: if you have sample pix taken with this lens, I'd love to see them posted to this thread. Comments about its sharpness and other touchy-feely characteristics are welcome.

6. Thanks very much, that's simple enough (even for me :Crunk:).

All we need now is someone using this lens....

BTW:
    It's part of the "Cafe-style" to treat each other in a friendly way. Thanks for understanding.

7. message Donzo... i think he may have one, pristine, in the trunk. AIS big glass is a great way to start out.

he had a AIS 600mm f/4 last i knew.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2007
  8. The biggest limitation at this focal length for me is vibration. The tiniest vibration shows up, and this has lead more than one person to believe that there was a lens/camera problem when there wasn't. With proper support and technique your lens is a performer provided that f5.6 is fast enough for you.

9. HappyFish

HappyFish

Oct 19, 2006
    Sure its OK. My first good, big glass was a Nikon 400MM f5.6 and I was shooting K-25 most of the time! The 600 f5.6 at 100 or 200 ASA is one Hell of a lot faster than that!

10. i shot this with an AIS 400mm f/2.8 on thursday

original.

11. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY
    Bob... WOW is all I can say. OUTSTANDING!!!! :eek: :eek:

12. AndyE

AndyE

May 2, 2005
    Vienna, Austria
    Here is a pic with the AiS 600mm f5.6 (incl. TC-14)

Some remarks:
    1) The quality is in most cases better, than using shorter lenses and TC's to get to 600mm
    2) It is comparatively light (<3kg)
    3) You need a good and stable tripod and proper long lens techniques
    4) Don't forget - its MF, with all the side effects of using manual focus
    5) Price: Got mine for less than 1000$ (like new with box)

Recommended,
    Andy

In the mountains, I was about half a mile away from the snowcat ,the pic is a bit cropped
    original.

13. SteveK

SteveK

Mar 16, 2005
    Alaska
    I used a 600 f5.6 as my prime lens for years. With practice you can shoot moving animals or flying birds. It is quick to focus, and provides exceptionally sharp images as long as you use proper long lens techniques.

14. keirin

keirin

Dec 31, 2005
    Many thanks to all for the feedback on this!

15. Thanx Don... you can see i'm doing my best to put the AIS 400/2.8 to good use!

16. The best thing is that it's light for 600mm but still pretty long. It is a heck of a lot easier to handle and carry this lens than 600 f4 lenses. The tripod mount is fantastic as it is not a "handle" just a platform that is really solid.

Focus is IF and is fairly loose for my tastes in my copy. There is also a manual/mechanical focus limiter on the ring.

There are a few versions of the 600 in the AIS mount. I'd look for the AIS-n version as it is the newest version.

There is some CA wide open on my D2X, but not too bad. I don't stop it down beyond F8. Focus at f5.6 isn't too bad on my D2x or F6, but it does black out the rangefinder on standard MF screens.

Pretty good BOKEH.

Here is a sample on Flickr:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/37977699@N00/462980950/in/set-72157601977455559/

17. Post is nearly 2 years old. Did you get the lens? Are you happy with it? I wasn't aware there was a 600 5.6