1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Long Lens Envy at Baylands Preserve

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Uncle Frank, Apr 10, 2007.

1. I went birding this morning at Baylands Preserve in Palo Alto. It's the largest tract of undisturbed marshland remaining in the San Francisco Bay, and many consider it to be one of the best bird watching areas on the West Coast. I was getting some good results from my 80-200/2.8 and d200, and feeling good about having plenty of reach.

76983482.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 89913

View attachment 89914

View attachment 89915

But then the dedicated birders began showing up, and made me feel like I was working with a peashooter.

View attachment 89916

Speaking of reach, this d2x shooter had it in abundance. He was using a Nikon spotting scope, and had magnification equivalent to a 2,500mm lens. I invited him to visit the Cafe to share some pictures and tell us about his rig.

View attachment 89917

My 80-200 couldn't compete with those long lenses, so I replaced it with my secret weapon... the 180/2.8. Let those Canon guys eat their hearts out :wink:.

View attachment 89918

If you ever get the chance, spend a few hours at Baylands Preserve. Even the pigeons are prettier there.

View attachment 89919

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2007
  2. I have to agree - great place to watch birds. There's a surprising diversity there, too. Watch for some ring-necked pheasants, for example! The ducks change species a lot over the year, and there are a few oddball geese that'll make your birding friends scratch their heads...

3. Trailfinder

Trailfinder Guest

I am in awe over your photographs - they are simply beautiful...All you guys and gals here in the cafe' I am envious of :Wink: It seems that alot of you live really near some absolutely fantastic places to photograph...

Here in Oklahoma, we DO have some very beautiful things to photograph. It's just that alot of them are several hours drive away...There is alot of wide open spaces here :smile: which I really do like...

Keep feeding me these awesome photograhs - it's very addictive...

Thanks!

Brad G...
    OKC/OKLA

4. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    Cool shots Frank. I like that second one.

5. Great shots for a peashooter :tongue:

I wonder what kind of shots you get from a spotting scope :smile:

6. Thanks, Brad and Chris. Glad you enjoyed the snaps.

Thanks, Marton. The 80-200 is a fine performer, and the rookery was very accessible.

Hopefully, the guy with the spotting scope will stop by and show us some samples.

7. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Wow - nice work with your 180 Frank! The bird in flight is so crisp!

8. Thanks, Chris. The 180 gives a different "feel" due to it's deep contrast. Here's another bird-in-flight from it.

76995611.gif

9. RForshey

RForshey Guest

Wow, looks like you had a blast Frank! Some really nice images..

10. It cracks me up when you call them snaps. Snaps give the impression of randomly clicking the shutter. I do not think you will ever be accused of that!

The long lens may be nice but my envy is the 180. More in my price range too.

11. Super "pea shooter" shots Frank! So when you going to pop for a 400 f2.8 so you can throw some of that envy back in their faces?

12. At the end of the day it is the picture that counts Frank - you sure got them!

13. It's regarded as one of the best lenses Nikon has ever made, and I haven't met anyone who was disappointed with it. It's not a fast focuser, and not an ideal lens for birding, but it excels at candids...

76983498.gif

... even of birds :wink:.

View attachment 89922

14. senna

senna

Jan 6, 2007
    San Jose Ca.
    Frank you got some great photos. The baylands is a great place to shoot.
    Witch 80-200 do you have AF-S or AF-D?
    Got this shot last month.

[​IMG]

15. Nice catch, Troy.

I use the 2 ring non-afs version of the 80-200.

16. senna

senna

Jan 6, 2007
    San Jose Ca.
    Thanks Frank. I was wanting a 70-200VR but I got two Nice lens for the same money.

17. I had a 70-200mm VR and ended up selling it... it was a great lens but w/ the $1350 i sold it for (paid $1000) I got a Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX D HSM, new 720p HD Projector for my home theater, and my wife a Coach purse for Christmas... everyone came out happy on that deal.

18. Nudge nudge :wink:

19. Being a bird photographer myself, watching your pictures I can only say WOW!

VERY well done, congrats.

Eduardo.

20. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

wow ...nice work Frank:smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.