Long Lens Envy at Baylands Preserve

Randy, thanks, buddy. I hope your dinner worked out OK.

Radiohead, regarding the "nudge nudge", I don't get your point. Are you claiming the Canon equivalent of the 180/2.8 has similar characteristics, or just pointing out that Canon offers something in that focal length? I"m sure you realized I was kidding about the 180 being a "secret weapon"... right?

Thanks, Eduardo! I'll look forward to seeing your images from Ecuador. You have some amazing varieties of hummingbirds in South America.

Last edited by a moderator:
speaking of the dark side I always heard people saying how the 200 2.0 was one thing that kept guys on our side, but I just learned today that the dark side has a 200 1.8!!! non IS but still thats gotta be one handfull of glass!

They can say whatever they want, Jason. I was just suggesting that their theory implies a broader appeal for the 200/2VR than I would imagine. Why shouldn't I say that :confused: ?

That Canon long tele is a good choice. For birds, there's always a need for a longer lens, even with a 600mm you'd sometimes crave for a 800mm.

It's fun to setup a DSLR adapted to a spotting scope but as far as my research can tell and the images I saw from guys who have dedicated to this art for years, they are still no match for a 600mm prime from the original manufacturer.

There's no two ways about bird photography and sports photography: the equipment matters in addition to the photog. These 2 areas require a long lens unless you're shooting in the zoo or in places where the birds are so familiar with humans. Most wild birds have a very wide circle of safety.

For more info on bird photography, feel free to read Art Morris' book.

Cheers,
Arthur

I just went there for the first time this weekend. That duck pond/rookery area is like gold; it's almost too easy to shoot birds. I'm glad it was so easy because I still had to watch a 2 year old. It's too bad that I spent the entire day at ISO 800. I still got a few snaps, but the noise is fairly noticeable once you zoom in. And apropos the group, I used the 70-300VR.

This is my favorite:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Yes, I could crop it to make the composition better, but I like the story in the picture.

I concur with the above poster... having researched spotting scopes with digital cameras to death (I was so convinced I could beat 2 birds at once by going this route)... the photos are not even close in quality to even a cheapish tele lens with TC's on. I compared shots taken with my Tamron 200-500 and 1.4 TC (not the greatest or worst lens in the world) with those from a Zeiss 60mm (a really expensive and nice scope).. and even after cropping from the scope shots, the resolution was not that good..

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom