Long time no see

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by mike mac, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Hey there all, well I have been away from the boards for about two weeks now, Attended Tech Ed conference in Orlando and got to meet up with some Café members for some bird and shuttle shooting.
    This week and last I am paying big time for being away, so not much chance for posting or reading any posts.
    This past weekend I shot a 80 team girls LAX tournament.
    After two days of shooting I personally took over 8000 pictures and there were three other photgs at the event also.

Girls LAX is a challenging sport to shoot for sales, the combo of the goggles and large mouthpieces makes for some unflattering shots. Some times you get great peak action and the face is just not right do to the mouthpiece or goggles.
    Well I just went through the first couple hundred so here are a few portraits to take a look at
    All shots with the D2X and the 300 2.8 AFS II with 1.4 tele all shots at f4.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. WOW, your usual Mike: outstanding!!

3. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    Showoff :)

Nice work man...man when you hit the focus you really hit the focus.

4. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    These are all wonderful shots Mike, the sharpness and color saturation is perfect. There has been an aweful lot of LAX being posted here and it sure seems to be the new up and coming sports in America. I have yet to see or shoot LAX firsthand, but I sure am taking notes from all of you so I can find success when I try my hand at it.

5. sonuj2

sonuj2

May 11, 2006
    Naperville, IL
    Hey Mike, you haven't skipped a beat. Fantastic as usual. Had not heard from you in a while on the Cafe so I was wondering what you were up to.

6. Wow! Great stuff!

7. superb!!

8. Outstanding Mike, I've learned quite a bit by watching your postings...you're right, the goggles make it very difficult, here's the coach's daughter w/ different goggles, I suspect these are very expensive, but maybe a new style that will gain in popularity? My daughters say they get used to it, but on some styles, those bars seem to be right in the middle of the field of vision.

It always cracks me up, whether it's basketball or LAX, they always have their mouthguards hanging out of their mouths. In one of my older daughter's games, the ref actually chastised a player and said if she had to tell her again to keep her mouthguard in her mouth, she was going to be thrown out of the game.

Now I just have to work on those frames:wink:

game-08.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2007
  9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I was about to send the mounties out after you Pal

Glad your are ok. I am sure you are exhausted.

So wonderful to see you again.. Made my year. Love ya

Great images as usual..

10. Nice series, very well done.

11. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Mike,

This series is stunning!! Focus, Bokeh, saturation, facial expressions, eyes - al perfect!!!

12. Thanks all for looking and commenting, I appreicate it I stil have thousands of images to go through but so little time. Hoepfuly will have some more up soon.

13. I'm speechless. These are superb.

Who was that guy they were talking about when they came up with "I wanna be like Mike"?

14. acena

acena

Mar 14, 2006
    New Jersey
    Mike;

I would've left the third one out. Next to all the others it looks soft.

Alex

15. acena

acena

Mar 14, 2006
    New Jersey
    I would not call it new but it certainly is one of the fastest growing sports. Softball coaches hate it. Whenever a school starts a girls lacrosse program, half the softball team disappears.

16. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    #3 is my favorite, hands down. Eyes, smile, expression, muscles, perfect!

17. You are both an inspiration and an example of the mountain this newbie still has to climb! Good going!