Look Ma, no wings!

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Chris101, May 3, 2005.

1. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    [​IMG]

This black bee really does have wings, but was beating them faster than the camera could catch. This photo is processed entirely with the new ACR - except for resize and sharpen in Photoshop CS2 (my first photo with the new software.) The new ACR is amazing - I wanted to emphasize the bee and subdue the very colorful background, and ACR's new curve control did just that.

Bridge still seems a bit slow, but as there is a high volume job coming up next week, I'll need to get a speedy workflow down by then!

2. Hi Chris,

Good capture. The bee seems to do a levitation trick. Thanks for sahring.

3. Cool shot, Chris. :D :D

4. Chris,
    Sounds like you are liking the new software. This is a neat capture. Curious about the camera/lens used and camera settings on this one.

5. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Thank you guys:

Dao. Actually the bee was hovering, but did have wings. I heard them.

-------

Brian: it was cool because the bee just sat there in front of me for some time, waiting for me to get my camera out. Very cooperative.

-------

I am liking CS2 Dave, but then it was expensive, so I had better. ;) I don't have one of the new cameras, so the lack of D2x software is not a hardship. I find the new capabilities to be things I can use, but I don't like the added complexity and associated slowness.

Oh yeah:
    D100, 180mm f/2.8 @ f/3.2, 1/750 sec., iso 200, aperture priority, matrix metered with 1.33 stops of compensation added to be sure to capture detail on the black animal. No flash, but now I'm thinking I should have tried it.

6. much obliged, Ghris. all the info is helpful.

7. oopsy.... Chris

8. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Cool shot Chris. You are right; as hard as it is to track these guys down most of the time, occasionally you get lucky and they just hover right in from of you. With my luck though, I usually have a telephoto mounted. :?