Look what I found in suburban Northern Virginia

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Rich Gibson, Apr 21, 2007.

1. Burke Lake is a tiny kidney shaped "lake" in the middle of suburban Northern Virginia just five or six miles from the beltway. I was trying the Sigma 120-300. At first I didn't realize what it was. When I got to it in post processing, lo and behold, a bald eagle!. Woo hoo! I need those 1.4 and 2.0 teleconverters.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rich

2. Lowolf

Lowolf

Jan 26, 2006
    Oregon
    great capture

3. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    Great shots Rich - Looks like you know where to find them!

4. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

5. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Great captures. Did you get a 120-300? If so SWEEET~!

6. Yes, while you were off line. I was so disappointed with the Bigma for BIF. I still need work on this. Later in the day I shot some little league and didn't have a problem with the lens. Half or more of the bird ones had camera movement but I was shooting 1/500th and using the electronic trigger, but still was getting fuzzy shots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rich

7. this is great Rich! looks like a keeper lens and neat find on the eagle too

8. Awsome shots! WOW on the eagle! Nice all around!

9. Thanks Dave and Dianne. Dianne was it you that said you need practice practce practice for BIF. I sure do!

Rich

10. yeppers it was probably me! I need practice PERIOD!

11. Good find Rich!

Forget the TC's - go get some big glass and get it over with!

12. Jim, in the scheme of life $4500 for a lens will likely never happen for me. It's like me buying a 700 series BMW.

Rich

13. Trish5

Trish5

Mar 31, 2005
    Rich,
    Nice Shots!! Nothing like a good ole' PP surprise!

I just listed my Sigma 2.0 TC that I used when I had the 120-300. Take a look in For Sale if interested..Is Brand new! and works wonderfully!!

14. Good for you Rich!! I am very interested in your progress with this lens!! An eagle near the beltway!! That is very cool! I will be in Woodbridge next weekend (hopefully). I understand there is a quarry or something nearby with eagle sightings.

15. Wow, that is so cool that there are all these birdies at Burke Lake! Definitely need to get out there....

16. Chris_B

Chris_B

Mar 12, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    That looks like fun Rich. I will have to stop by Burke lake sometime soon.

17. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

18. That Eagle was fun, thanks for sharing and evaluating! I follow your comments pretty closely.

19. In the early evening yesterday I was sitting out on my balcony relaxing after coming home from work. I saw something flying waaay up above, and something about the flight pattern and the movements caught my attention: I looked more closely: sure looked like a raptor to me! I then ran in the house and grabbed a camera, slapped the 70-300mm VR on it (closest at hand) and ran back out to try and capture the bird. I saw now there actually were two of them and it was still hard to determine what they were, but I could swear that they were bald eagles. When I was watching the first time, I thought I'd seen a flash of white. I haven't put the card into the computer yet to take a look but when I do I hope I'll be able to see if indeed that's what they were. If so, that is highly unusual! I"m right off Arlington Blvd (Rte 50), not even a half-mile from the Beltway. We are on a little lake, but it's nothing like Burke Lake or any of the others around here where an eagle might expect some good fishing.

ETA: OK, I just uploaded the CF cards into the computer and had a look. Definitely not bald eagles! Looks like some kind of hawk..... So much for that!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2007
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.