Looking across Galway Bay from Ballyvaughn

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Rich Gibson, Feb 25, 2005.

1. Comments? Composotion, etc? Thanks, Rich

2. Composition is not bad Rich. It does not seem to have the spark that it should. The white on the boat is slightly grey and overall the colors seem subdued. I hope this helps.

3. Yes, it does as a matter of fact. You may recall my questions about the post of the two stream/tree scenes. I usually work in with Adobe 98. All the posts have been converted to sRGB IEC61966-2.1 in Photoshop for PBase but they all lack that certain "pop."

The flower box in the architecture forum is quite disappointing to me. On my Sony LCD screen at home and on print (Epson 2200) the images are vibrant. I was told to convert to SRGB because Adobe 98 appears flat on the internet yet I still am not happy with these colors.

Can anybody offer any suggestions? As far as I can tell I'm doing it by the book. (Oh yes, I do not use save for web; I use"image, mode, convert to profile" and resize to 72 p/in then adjust the longest dimension to 1000 pixels.)

In the Photoshop menu to change the destination space there are a series of sRGB choices from sRGB 0.75 to sRGB 3. Are you supposed to use those?

Thanks for your help,

Rich

4. Here is what I do for what it is worth:
    1. After initial processing in NC I save the image as a TIFF.
    2. Open TIFF in PS CS and click on Image/Mode and click on 8 bit color. Click on Image/Mode again and then click on Convert and then sRGB.
    3. Downsize image (I use Fred Miranda WP) to 900x600 or larger if I am going to crop. Many times I will crop the 900x600 image to 800x600.
    4. In this step I play with curves, contrast, brightness, hue to get the brightest image. On you boat picture for example I might go to Image/Adjustment/Curves and then using the white eye dropper, click on the white part of the boat.
    5. Use a sharpening algorithm such as USM (I use Fred Miranda's Intellisharpen II Pro)
    6. Go to File and then Click on Save As. Save it as a JPEG at around 300 DPI.

Many times a slight adjustment in contrast during step 4 will give some pop to the image as will adjustments in curves. Also, be aware that if you have done a super job in NC with WB, EV, and Ron Reznik's adjustments to the histogram, step 4 above may not even be necessary.

I hope this helps.

5. Hey Rich I hope you don't mind but I copied your picture and spent less than one minute in PS CS and here is the result. What I did was to go into curves and click on Image/Adjustments/Curves and then using the white eyedropper I clicked on the white part of the boat. I then saved the image as a JPEG

View attachment 5540

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very good Gordon.

Appreciate your example and explanation. I will have to take note. When I post to pbase they do not look the same as on my monitor even though I do change to srgb.

I guess one has to make it a tad be more contrasty for web.

Thanks

Gale